This is my starting point for processing landscape photos in Lightroom. I developed this starting with what I had learned reading Michael Frye's "Landscapes in Lightroom" which is an excellent resource. From this starting point I generally set the white/black points either with the white/black sliders or the point curve. I then adjust the highlights and shadows to taste and proceed from there. I use a default "daylight" white balance for this preset, but explore other options on each file.
Once you download this file, here's how to install:
1) Open Lightroom
2) Go Edit∙Preferences and select the "Presets" tab
3) Click on the button titled "Show Lightroom Presets Folder"
4) In the window that opens, double click on the "Lightroom" folder
5) Now double click on "Develop Presets"
6) Copy the downloaded file into the "User Presets" sub-folder, or any other preset folder you like
7) Restart Lightroom
It should now show up as a develop preset!