A Bug's Life

JimFox

Staff member
This is an experiment as full disclosure. :)

I had an idea of how would a timelapse look if I filmed it along the ground, from a bugs perspective? I think this might be something I can work on and build upon in the future, but I thought it was fun and would share it.

It will probably make you dizzy in a few spots, hopefully no one will need a sea sick bag while watching it though.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

AlanLichty

I sure hope this bug was flying 'cuz otherwise I don't want to encounter the bug that was seeing this 😁 Maybe closer to a small mammal view.

There were a couple of places where it seemed like the camera was pointed too far down (out in the grass) but otherwise seemed like it worked.

JimFox

Staff member
I sure hope this bug was flying 'cuz otherwise I don't want to encounter the bug that was seeing this 😁 Maybe closer to a small mammal view.

There were a couple of places where it seemed like the camera was pointed too far down (out in the grass) but otherwise seemed like it worked.
Thanks Alan.

My inspiration for those super low shots was those jungle movies where the people are bushwacking through the jungle with machetes'. That's where I need to play around more with that super low perspective with just how low is too low? But I thought it would look cool with the grasses parting way before the lens of the camera as it slide through the grasses. That was my thought anyway. :)

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Other than a few places where the camera was OOF (maybe too close?) it works pretty well. I think it is something you prefect, but then you will have nowhere to go unless you can find a subject at this low level that would be worth a still image on it's own.

JimFox

Staff member
Other than a few places where the camera was OOF (maybe too close?) it works pretty well. I think it is something you prefect, but then you will have nowhere to go unless you can find a subject at this low level that would be worth a still image on it's own.
Thanks Ben. Yeah, I was curious just how close it could focus too. It seems to have a pretty close focus. It was a fun experiment. I hope to get back out into the wildflowers again in the next week, so maybe I can try that approach with wildflowers up in the mountains.

I think the only thing that bothered me was the fast pace when going by wildflowers. I think it might be better to stop at the pretty wildflower spots to make it look like you are rushing to find them as you go along. That gives purpose to the video.

JimFox

Staff member
I think the only thing that bothered me was the fast pace when going by wildflowers. I think it might be better to stop at the pretty wildflower spots to make it look like you are rushing to find them as you go along. That gives purpose to the video.
Good idea Doug! Thank you.

Raymond

Great principle and very creative, but, too fast for my slow eyes! Love the idea you have though

JimFox

Staff member
Great principle and very creative, but, too fast for my slow eyes! Love the idea you have though
Thanks Raymond, I agree it's a bit too fast I thought. It's great to get others feedback on it. I did a new video tonight that I think can improve on this one.

Top Bottom