A Dogs Life in Yosemite

JimFox

Staff member
A Dogwood that is. :)

This was from a month ago in Yosemite National Park, down by the Merced River and not too far from Gates of the Valley. It was past Dogwood peak, but the flowers despite having a bit of character to them due to getting a little aged, they still were larger then the leaves so they were still visible and for me that's the main point. Once the leaves get larger then the blooms, then the flowers just get too hidden to shoot.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

DSC_4462_dw.jpg

AlanLichty

They are just small enough in the scene to not see the ragged edges of the blooms. That's a pretty high flow in the river judging by where its lapping at the banks.

JimFox

Staff member
They are just small enough in the scene to not see the ragged edges of the blooms. That's a pretty high flow in the river judging by where its lapping at the banks.
They actually weren't really ragged, which they would get to next where the flowers are fraying. These just had the brownish discoloring hitting them a bit. And some blossoms looked better then others, I do have some tighter shots where the blossoms still looked pretty nice I thought.

The waterflow is pretty typical for that time of year. It's always pretty much up there in the spring and of course continues to subside throughout the summer.

Timmeh

Hey Jim,

Is the orange coloring El Capitan's reflection? Good on you for going for a skyless scene. It tells the story quite well, and you wouldn't know that the dogwoods are past peak.

Tim

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Jim,

Is the orange coloring El Capitan's reflection? Good on you for going for a skyless scene. It tells the story quite well, and you wouldn't know that the dogwoods are past peak.

Tim
Thanks Tim!

The reflection is coming from the Cathedral Rocks surrounding Bridalveil. I was on the south bank just west of Gates of the Valley for this one.

MonikaC

Really like the orange reflection -- makes it a little different from all the dogwoods & river shots around.

dan swiger

A Dogwood that is. :)

This was from a month ago in Yosemite National Park, down by the Merced River and not too far from Gates of the Valley. It was past Dogwood peak, but the flowers despite having a bit of character to them due to getting a little aged, they still were larger then the leaves so they were still visible and for me that's the main point. Once the leaves get larger then the blooms, then the flowers just get too hidden to shoot.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

View attachment 19513
You got the Dogwood shot I had hoped for! I like the time of day-light you picked

JimFox

Staff member
Really like the orange reflection -- makes it a little different from all the dogwoods & river shots around.
Thank you Monika! The shot was really focused on getting the reflection as I think it adds so much to it.

JimFox

Staff member
This is so cool! I love the movement in the water!
Thank Alisa. That was a balancing act as the branches moved with the slightest breeze so there was a limit as to how slow I could go to get the water movement. But going with a slow shutter speed was important to me as not only does it help show water movement, it also helps the reflection to show better.

Top Bottom