Abandoned farmhouse

Amy Earl

A few more shots of this house following the 'door in the ivy' photo (taken of the left wall of the house). As with the other photo I used a 14mm angle in anticipation of doing a 'haunted' treatment, playing on the angles of the building. I tried to enhance the abandoned vibe in processing - desaturated colors, flattened tone curve, dark vignette, extra sharpness. Does it work? 👻

20200427_IMG_4699-Edit_AmyEarl.jpg

20200427_IMG_4696-Edit_AmyEarl.jpg

AlanLichty

Then second image comes closest to your intended purpose of a haunted place.

Even more age clues - all of the electrical work came as an afterthought to when the structure was originally built. Then fixtures suggest it went out of use in the 40's.

JimFox

Staff member
That's a super cool building Amy. So it had a Café? How cool.

Are people still living there? I see a pile of cut firewood there.

#2 is a really great shot. #1 doesn't work for me, perhaps simply getting rid of that bit of sky in the upper right corner? It looks like you applied a vignette to help minimize that, but it doesn't. Now I like how you used that angled wood on the ground as a lead in on the ground. That works awesome. Again, #2 really works well.

Amy Earl

Then second image comes closest to your intended purpose of a haunted place.

Even more age clues - all of the electrical work came as an afterthought to when the structure was originally built. Then fixtures suggest it went out of use in the 40's.
Ah that's neat, I wouldn't have noticed that. How were you able to date the abandonment to the 40's by looking at the fixtures?

That's a super cool building Amy. So it had a Café? How cool.

Are people still living there? I see a pile of cut firewood there.

#2 is a really great shot. #1 doesn't work for me, perhaps simply getting rid of that bit of sky in the upper right corner? It looks like you applied a vignette to help minimize that, but it doesn't. Now I like how you used that angled wood on the ground as a lead in on the ground. That works awesome. Again, #2 really works well.
Thanks, it's definitely an interesting building and property. It's in a lovely spot on a back country road with a view and has a nice private garden closed in by trees on all sides. It seems to be semi-maintained because the grass was cut recently.

AlanLichty

Ah that's neat, I wouldn't have noticed that. How were you able to date the abandonment to the 40's by looking at the fixtures?
Mostly a guess but those are the types of electrical fixtures that were common during WWII. There is a light system just above the doorway sign that appears more modern and the doormat is certainly newer.

MonikaC

I think your processing works well. I can easily imagine old, rusty cafe tables & chairs in front. Maybe with some ghostly figures sipping coffee......

Top Bottom