Antelope Dragwood

AlanLichty

Out along beaches we refer to wood that float in via waves as driftwood. I suspect the wood in this scene in Upper Antelope Canyon is perhaps a bit less random and was likely dragged in for the benefit of the tourists paying to see the slot canyon. The scene may look serene but in reality this was captured in between the staged sandfall displays with multiple tour groups pushing past each other right behind me as I squeezed off the shot. It still offered some interesting light so I ignored the chaos and took my shot.

UAC-Dragwood.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Timmeh

Good eye going for the simpler shot than the dime a dozen sand falling shot. Yikes...I think I'll just donate money directly to the Navajo rather than bother with Antelope Canyon. You make it sound like the Joker throwing cash into the streets.

Tim

JimFox

Staff member
Good eye going for the simpler shot than the dime a dozen sand falling shot. Yikes...I think I'll just donate money directly to the Navajo rather than bother with Antelope Canyon. You make it sound like the Joker throwing cash into the streets.

Tim
For myself, the location is so mesmerizing I hardly noticed anyone else around me the couple of times I have been there. Waiting for people to move in a crowded location is to be expected and at least for myself I wasn't bothered as I expected it. I had wanted to get back there this last year since when I last shot it I think I was shooting with a 10 or 12 mp camera. But they have done away with the Photo Tour which is a 2 hour tour. In the 2 hour tour you were able to go behind the 1 hour tours so you can get each room of the slot with just you and a couple of other photographers. The last I had checked before the Pandemic shut it down was they were only offering 1 hour tours. If I remember it was from too many photographers complaining about people in their way in the Photo tour. We are most often our worst enemies, as now it's canceled.

So maybe next year I can get there. :)

Also, there are 2 or 3 slots close by there that only do Photo Tours, so they are less crowded. I was looking into that also.

JimFox

Staff member
Nice work Alan! You did good with this one.

While that looks like something someone drug in there, being as it's a slot canyon that does get water flowing through there occasionally, I would imagine perhaps the idea behind that dragged in tree was that actual wood had been deposited and left in there naturally after flooding.

Top Bottom