Bee-eaters - Tanzania

KevinA

Wikipedia
"The northern carmine bee-eater (Merops nubicus) is a brightly-coloured bird in the bee-eater family, Meropidae. It is found across northern tropical Africa, from Senegal eastwards to Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya. It was formerly considered to be conspecific with the southern carmine bee-eater which has a carmine coloured throat rather than the blue throat of the northern species."

Northern Carmine Bee-eater, Merops nubicus
7D2_1245.jpg

Wikipedia
"The white-fronted bee-eater (Merops bullockoides) is a species of bee-eater widely distributed in sub-equatorial Africa.
The species has a distinctive white forehead, a square tail, and a bright red patch on its throat. It nests in small colonies, digging holes in cliffs or earthen banks, and can usually be seen in low trees, waiting to hunt passing insects by making quick hawking flights or gliding down before hovering briefly to catch the prey."

White-fronted Bee-eater, Merops bullockoides
7D2_1075.jpg

7D2_0886.jpg

Wikipedia
"The white-throated bee-eater (Merops albicollis) is a near passerine bird in the bee-eater family, Meropidae. It breeds in semi-desert along the southern edge of the Sahara, Africa. The white-throated bee-eater is migratory, wintering in a completely different habitat in the equatorial rain forests of Africa from southern Senegal to Uganda."

White-Throated Bee-Eater, Merops albicollis
7D2_0857.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Wow Kevin. I am still amazed that there is a bird that's called a Bee Eater. When most people will run away screaming from a bee, this little guys go right in and eat them!

I was trying to pick a few favorites out of these, but each one was just as good as the previous one as I scrolled. Great work on these.

KevinA

Wow Kevin. I am still amazed that there is a bird that's called a Bee Eater. When most people will run away screaming from a bee, this little guys go right in and eat them!

I was trying to pick a few favorites out of these, but each one was just as good as the previous one as I scrolled. Great work on these.
Thanks for looking and commenting Jim, it's greatly appreciated

Wikipedia
"The northern carmine bee-eater (Merops nubicus) is a brightly-coloured bird in the bee-eater family, Meropidae. It is found across northern tropical Africa, from Senegal eastwards to Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya. It was formerly considered to be conspecific with the southern carmine bee-eater which has a carmine coloured throat rather than the blue throat of the northern species."

Northern Carmine Bee-eater, Merops nubicus
View attachment 69719

Wikipedia
"The white-fronted bee-eater (Merops bullockoides) is a species of bee-eater widely distributed in sub-equatorial Africa.
The species has a distinctive white forehead, a square tail, and a bright red patch on its throat. It nests in small colonies, digging holes in cliffs or earthen banks, and can usually be seen in low trees, waiting to hunt passing insects by making quick hawking flights or gliding down before hovering briefly to catch the prey."

View attachment 69720

View attachment 69721

Wikipedia
"The white-throated bee-eater (Merops albicollis) is a near passerine bird in the bee-eater family, Meropidae. It breeds in semi-desert along the southern edge of the Sahara, Africa. The white-throated bee-eater is migratory, wintering in a completely different habitat in the equatorial rain forests of Africa from southern Senegal to Uganda."

White-Throated Bee-Eater, Merops albicollis
View attachment 69722
wow, Kevin, what gorgeous birds, love the vibrant colors.

Oliver

Top Bottom