Best of 2020

Ken Rennie

#1 from Loch Ard, Scotland the day after attending a Joan Baez concert showing that the quality of light and odd atmospheric conditions can transform ordinary backgrounds
_DSC6423-3 whole thing col balanced better-2 removing blue cast soft proofed-1 straightened 1600.jpg

#2 Glencoe a steep pathless scramble down to the river on a day with snow showers and sunshine
Untitled_Panorama-1d.jpg

#3 Deepdale in Cumbria (30 miles from home), my first visit to the valley, 2 days before we went into total lockdown.
_DSC7879-1.jpg

#4 Hadrian's Wall about 20 miles from home, lockdown had relaxed enough for us to be able to drive and then go for a walk. Forecast was perfect sunshine, and thunderstorms this is a multi shot panorama with me sheltering under an umbrella
Untitled_Panorama-2c white stroke.jpg

#5 Combe Gill watermill (30 miles from home) Only my 2nd drive to take photographs in 4 months but days of heavy rain followed by a sunshine and showers forecast tempted me out. I walked high into the hills above this mill to take waterfall images and then decided to find this mill.
_DSC0980-2 white stroke.jpg

#6 Bee with sunflower. We had weeks of warm and sunny weather and I spent a long time in the garden learning how to focus stack moving flowers, use fill in flash and photographing butterflies and bees in flight. Not perfect but I am happy with it, more practice next year.
_DSC2242-1  focus stackb.jpg

#7 Rogie Falls, Northern Scotland. A long planned trip to Beauly where my wife attends a traditional fiddle workshop every year. Unfortunately Covid put a stop to the workshop but we had paid for the accommodation and October in Northern Scotland can be beautiful. This was taken with soft rain falling softening the foliage
_DSC4794-1.jpg

#8 Wailing Widow Falls in Assynt in North West Scotland. One of the many locations that I want to return to. I had difficulty just choosing 1
_DSC3840-1 white stroke.jpg

#9 Bassenthwaite Lake in Cumbria a magical light day that turns everything extraordinary. I had real difficulty just choosing 1 from here.
_DSC6339-3 thin white stroke.jpg

#10 from later the same morning as #9 Borrowdale in Cumbria with thick mist in the valley nd the sun just starting to breakthrough. A very difficult image to process as the dynamic range was extreme.
_DSC6493-1 mono v3 white stroke.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
2, 4, 5 and 7 are my favorites here but all of them are fantastic. Color and grand scenes are my thing which is the influencing factor. Your waterfalls are to die for.

Timmeh

Supporting Member
Excellent Ken! It is nice to see a genuine image of a boat on a lake (too many Instagram images...)

JimFox

Staff member
Awesome work Ken! Every one of these is awesome! I can’t pick out favorites, because every single one is a favorite.

You had a really awesome year posting here!

Kyle Jones

Wonderful set Ken - you do a great job of making me want to come for a visit. I'm sure I'd pick different favorites tomorrow, but for now I'd go with 1, 2 and 5. I actually think I liked some of your other Wailing Widow Falls photos more than this one, but it is still really nice.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Staff member
I knew these would be fantastic and I was right. I absolutely love #4 - the historic location, the wonderfully engaging composition and the dramatic weather and light make it just an absolutely magical capture. All of the waterfall shots are great - your shutter speeds for these seem to always strike the right balance between motion and mood, with #3 and #5 being particularly striking to my eye. And all the work put into #10 was worth it - what a powerful image you have created and posted to end this impressive set!

ML

Jim Dockery

Great set. #2 is my fav. - both snowy mountain and gorgeous falls in an outstanding composition with perfect subdued light. #7 is a close 2nd, beautiful light, fall colors, and an interesting falls all come together into a "Wow!"

Top Bottom