Best of 2020

dan swiger

1. Winter Solstice at Pfieffer State Beach, The Rock - Hoping for a clear Horizon at Sunset, Sharing this spot with my BIL
RB67_200103_005w.jpg

2. Pfieffer State Beach, Glowing surf - Waiting for the sunsets afterglow.
RB67_200103_002-003_P1w.jpg

3. Fly me to the Super Moon - Lake Elisabeth, wanting a clear sizable super-moon, the surprise was catching an airplane crossing

7D2_330A7318w.jpg

4. Rainbow at Zabriskie Point, Death Valley. With a clearing storm, hoping for some good light. The Rainbow was a gift!
T45ekep_200309_022_p2w.jpg

5. Cracked Mud, Death Valley. Looking for some sculptured mud. Loved the contrast, trexture & tones
T45_200309_019w.jpg

6. Rustic Garden, Titus Canyon Death Valley. Looking for the scene within the scene. Happy with the natural & manmade elements
T45_200309_011w.jpg

7. Path to a tree, Coyote Valley, CA. My favorite local venue always has a treat. Discovered this on a bike ride.
RB67_200415_004_SE1w.jpg

8. Last Tree Standing, near home in San Jose. Looking for a "naturally" placed tree in the suburban clutter. Liked the contrasts & drama.
M7_200309_007_SE3w.jpg

9. Comet_NEOWISE, Eastern sky, Coyote Valley. Not an astro guy, but hoped for a clear sky & comet features & was pleased with this simple result
7D2_7664_200713_p1w.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Awesome choices Dan! These all stand out!

I hate to choose favorites, but I will go with 3, 5 and 6.

What's the dates again for the beam at Pfieffer? Isn't it in January?

dan swiger

I would have to check but it's all about the position of the sun.
Here's a quote I found

"The spectacle can occur from November through January and even beyond. But the best chances are during the period around Winter Solstice, from mid-December till mid-January. However, due to crowds during the Christmas break, some prefer to come in early January. The angle of the rays changes from day to day. For several weeks the sun sets right behind the arch. The tide level is also important to create the most striking reflection. Clear skies are also necessary for a perfect picture.
Even though there are only a few minutes at sunset to enjoy this spectacular view, you have to come early, preferably a couple of hours in advance, as parking there is limited. Mind that the road down to Pfeiffer Beach is un-maintained and washes out after moderate rainfall. So the best way to get there is by a truck or an SUV. You should also be aware that the road was designed to not be so noticeable. At last, if you choose to capture the beach from above, be extremely careful and don't come close to the edge, as the coastline is rather unstable."

Amy Nelson

All great images....but I think # 5 & # 6 are awesome. The cracked mud shot is fantastic, glad to see it again.

Top Bottom