Big Boy 4014

Bill Swartzwelder

While not as artistic as Barry's gorgeous image of Union Pacific's 4014, I was motivated to blow the dust off my camera to try and capture an image of this mammoth locomotive as it passed through town. I locked up my business and proceeded to search for a photogenic location but most places were packed with the traveling entourage of photographers and general public trying to get an image. I finally found a spot on a bridge that was not too heavily traveled... only a few log trucks to intimidate me as they past by a few feet from me as I waited. Pictures and videos do not convey the magnitude and power of this locomotive as it passes by with a soft whoosh of steam power.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Wow, that's a big one. Is this an exhibition run they make every do often? Looks like some diesels behind it. What sort of vars is it pulling?

I really like this image by the way.

JimFox

Staff member
You picked a great spot Bill!!! What a cool opportunity you had, the result I think is great!

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Opps, sorry I did not know it was coming through. Maybe next time. Opps again, I probably won't be here then.

Top Bottom