Bike Talkers

JimFox

Staff member
Some people I saw hanging around that were very interesting. The lady had wrapped that dog and was holding it like it was a human baby, the middle guy was constantly turning and looking around like he was on edge, and the guy on the right just kept talking and talking.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

All comments are welcome,

Jim

7DEA8F56-2B4E-4F30-BE00-8EB232F19905.jpeg

Trent Watts

I think you have a new career as a photojournalist. There is a real drama in the shot. I like it a lot Jim.

AlanLichty

One nice part about shooting with an iPhone - you are almost invisible as a photographer. Pull out a DSLR and everyone gets camera shy. Nice capture.

JimFox

Staff member
One nice part about shooting with an iPhone - you are almost invisible as a photographer. Pull out a DSLR and everyone gets camera shy. Nice capture.
Thanks Alan.

I have found that with the iphone I am a bit more invisible, but not totally. When I was up near Pasadena last Sunday and doing some street photography in the rain, I still got lot's of looks. People notice you pointing your phone at them and will look. The phone isn't as big as a camera, so you do get less looked at, but people will still look to see what you are taking a photo of with the iphone.

Probably the most invisible I have been is when I have my regular camera over my neck facing forward, hanging down by my waist and then I just rest my hand on it with the finger over the shutter button. I shoot a little wider and just press the shutter that way. As long as you aren't holding the camera up high to your eye no one notices. Keeper rate is probably about 40%, but at least no one gives you a second look.

The problem with that technique with the iphone it's so hard to hit the shutter button on the face of the phone as there is no physical way to know your finger is on the button on the screen. Thinking about it, I guess I could use my headphones and press the volume button? Or there is a way to take photos by pressing the side button? I could check into that, but at this point I do get noticed even though I try to be very subtle and not look at the people and shoot through my car windows, etc to mask the phone.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Nice street photography Jim, a lot going on in the image.

With iPhone 15, the button above the volume controls can be programmed to do different things, the shutter button is one of them. You can go to settings, Action Button to set this.

David S

Thanks Alan.

The problem with that technique with the iphone it's so hard to hit the shutter button on the face of the phone as there is no physical way to know your finger is on the button on the screen. Thinking about it, I guess I could use my headphones and press the volume button? Or there is a way to take photos by pressing the side button? I could check into that, but at this point I do get noticed even though I try to be very subtle and not look at the people and shoot through my car windows, etc to mask the phone.
You can push the volume button on the earphones and it triggers the shutter.

David S

This one has some interesting atmosphere ! I wonder what they are saying and if they are arguing or what. There is a dog and two shopping carts , two bikes and some shoes in the ground, how random !

JimFox

Staff member
This one has some interesting atmosphere ! I wonder what they are saying and if they are arguing or what. There is a dog and two shopping carts , two bikes and some shoes in the ground, how random !
Yeah, it felt like such a totally random thing. I captured it from inside my truck so they never noticed me.

David S

Yeah, it felt like such a totally random thing. I captured it from inside my truck so they never noticed me.
How do you like it ? It changes how you see scenes and people sometimes.. It feels like you have some uncovered treasure sometimes before you get home and edit...

JimFox

Staff member
How do you like it ? It changes how you see scenes and people sometimes.. It feels like you have some uncovered treasure sometimes before you get home and edit...
I liked it. I always like when I am not noticed. I have never liked people looking into the camera. So it's a nice treat when I can image them unobserved.

Top Bottom