Jim Dockery

One of the most popular hikes off of Hwy. 20 in the North Cascades, esp. in the fall when the larches turn color. An easy 2+ miles and 900 ft. elevation gain. I missed the peak color, but enjoyed the contrast with the snow, which also kept the crowds manageable. I heard that there were cars parked a mile down the highway on the last good weekend. Early morning mid-week I only saw a few people at the lake, and was by myself for an hour when I plowed a path through knee deep snow to the little tarn west of the lake. This area is just outside the national park, so I could fly my drone.

Blue-Lk-001-Pano-2.jpg

Drone view

Blue-Lk-A7-008-Pano.jpg

First sunlit larch on the hike.

Blue-Lk-A7-020-Pano.jpg

Blue Lake

Blue-Lk-A7-048-Pano.jpg

Looking east across to Liberty Bell group across the lake.

Blue-Lk-A7-078.jpg

Tarn

Blue-Lk-iPhone47.jpg

Little larch loosing it's needles.

AlanLichty

Neat images of that place. I really like the view from the drone.

I have only done that hike once but there were no crowds at all. Sounds like it has become more popular.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Beautiful area and the your images do it justice. Never been there in Winter - looks like a worthwhile thing to do. That drone image is very nice. The view towards Liberty Bell is pretty neat as well.

One of the most popular hikes off of Hwy. 20 in the North Cascades, esp. in the fall when the larches turn color. An easy 2+ miles and 900 ft. elevation gain. I missed the peak color, but enjoyed the contrast with the snow, which also kept the crowds manageable. I heard that there were cars parked a mile down the highway on the last good weekend. Early morning mid-week I only saw a few people at the lake, and was by myself for an hour when I plowed a path through knee deep snow to the little tarn west of the lake. This area is just outside the national park, so I could fly my drone.

View attachment 33050
Drone view

View attachment 33051
First sunlit larch on the hike.

View attachment 33052
Blue Lake

View attachment 33053
Looking east across to Liberty Bell group across the lake.

View attachment 33054
Tarn

View attachment 33055
Little larch loosing it's needles.
What a beautiful tarn, Jim. Great series.

JimFox

Staff member
Wow! You really nailed this area Jim! It's great that the fresh snow helped keep the crowds down.

#3 and 4 are my favorites. But all of them are great.

Dean

Great set Jim.. The Liberty Bell group is a standout for me a really beautiful image.

Jim Dockery

Thanks for all the comments guys. Monkia, yes, this is early snow for that area with more on the way this week. Hwy 20 closes for the winter and that could happen in the next couple weeks. I may be headed down to Rainier for some powder skiing soon!

Top Bottom