Bonneville Bliss

JimFox

Staff member
Though it was 96 degrees during the day out at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, it cooled down to a very blissful 70 degrees at night. I totally enjoyed as I had 4 cameras setup and clicking away as I sat back in my beach chair just enjoying the blissful moment.

This image is almost a free bonus image for me. My main purpose in going to Bonneville Salt Flats was to capture Deep Space Objects with my tracker and the Tamron 150-600mm. Which I got some really sweet images there. I set up 3 other cameras in various directions around me and then set my exposure for the night skies and then locked them in and let them go. :) I will turn some of them into timelapses later, but the real advantage of shooting this way is I can then pull an image where I like the position of the Milky Way out and then process that one.

This was a night with no moon until early morning, but because I knew the moon would be rising about 2am, I setup my initial exposures a bit darker then normal with the thinking that once the moon rose and made the sky and ground brighter I would still have a good exposure. The Salt Flats really reflected the light well from the stars and so even with it not having a moon at the time this was captured, the ground layer is lit up pretty decently.

There was a bit of green airglow along the horizon as you see. The yellow lit area I toned down a bit, it actually had the feel of the sun rising. There is nothing in that direction that I know of for almost a 100 miles, so the best I can guess it's light from Salt Lake City. But maybe Ben or Alan have a better idea.

Single Exposure
Nikon D810
Sigma 14mm f1.8
20 secs
f2.2
ISO 2000

All comments are welcome,

Jim

_D813675_dw.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Hey Jim, this is a good one, glad to know you can get a MW from there. I had visions of I80 in the frame, but you got far enough north of there to avoid it.

What direction are you facing here? I am guessing south east.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Jim, this is a good one, glad to know you can get a MW from there. I had visions of I80 in the frame, but you got far enough north of there to avoid it.

What direction are you facing here? I am guessing south east.
Thanks Ben, I am glad you like this.

I drove 12 miles into the Salt Flats, so there is no way you would the I-80. Next time take Exit 4 to the Speedway area and just keep driving. :)

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Jim, I have another place planned that's about 50 miles south of here, a wildlife sanctuary and I am pretty sure a very dark sky. Next ideal moon (Monday) will be at Christmas Meadows, then for the July Moon at the wild life refuge, But i am for sure going to get back to the salt flats. Probably don't want to be there during speed week.

AlanLichty

Nice you had clear skies - haze and pollution can sometimes linger unless there are breezes. The whole basin that used to be Lake Bonneville is like a giant bathtub that doesn't have a drain and in winter months that often includes the air.

I'd guess you were seeing the glow from the urban centers along the Wasatch Front. That glow is visible when you are driving the freeway eastbound heading towards SLC at night.

Tom Narwid

Though it was 96 degrees during the day out at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, it cooled down to a very blissful 70 degrees at night. I totally enjoyed as I had 4 cameras setup and clicking away as I sat back in my beach chair just enjoying the blissful moment.

This image is almost a free bonus image for me. My main purpose in going to Bonneville Salt Flats was to capture Deep Space Objects with my tracker and the Tamron 150-600mm. Which I got some really sweet images there. I set up 3 other cameras in various directions around me and then set my exposure for the night skies and then locked them in and let them go. :) I will turn some of them into timelapses later, but the real advantage of shooting this way is I can then pull an image where I like the position of the Milky Way out and then process that one.

This was a night with no moon until early morning, but because I knew the moon would be rising about 2am, I setup my initial exposures a bit darker then normal with the thinking that once the moon rose and made the sky and ground brighter I would still have a good exposure. The Salt Flats really reflected the light well from the stars and so even with it not having a moon at the time this was captured, the ground layer is lit up pretty decently.

There was a bit of green airglow along the horizon as you see. The yellow lit area I toned down a bit, it actually had the feel of the sun rising. There is nothing in that direction that I know of for almost a 100 miles, so the best I can guess it's light from Salt Lake City. But maybe Ben or Alan have a better idea.

Single Exposure
Nikon D810
Sigma 14mm f1.8
20 secs
f2.2
ISO 2000

All comments are welcome,

Jim

View attachment 40229
Love the other world look in this image very creative composition.

JimFox

Staff member
Jim, I have another place planned that's about 50 miles south of here, a wildlife sanctuary and I am pretty sure a very dark sky. Next ideal moon (Monday) will be at Christmas Meadows, then for the July Moon at the wild life refuge, But i am for sure going to get back to the salt flats. Probably don't want to be there during speed week.
Hey Ben,

Those sound like really good plans. One thing to keep in mind is that ground layers that have a lot of vegetation are much harder to do at night as you have more small objects that can move and can softness. I prefer all solid ground layers with rocks and such for ease of processing. :)

JimFox

Staff member
Nice you had clear skies - haze and pollution can sometimes linger unless there are breezes. The whole basin that used to be Lake Bonneville is like a giant bathtub that doesn't have a drain and in winter months that often includes the air.

I'd guess you were seeing the glow from the urban centers along the Wasatch Front. That glow is visible when you are driving the freeway eastbound heading towards SLC at night.
Thanks Alan. I imagine that place could be miserable. There was in fact a forecast that was showing some wind, so I was on the look out for dust and thinking I would have to pack it up if it got too bad. But fortunately it never did. There was a bit of a breeze, but nothing too bad.

Top Bottom