Bowling Balls and Stars

Kyle Jones

I had a chance to sneak out to Bowling Ball Beach Saturday night, along with lots of other people. I managed to find some rocks that I liked to line up with where I expect the stars to appear. This is a blend of 5 exposures. I captured the rocks in late twilight at ISO 400 and f/4 to keep them clean and sharp. The sidelight on the rocks is from the setting moon. I took 4 images for the sky about half an hour later and stacked them for noise reduction before blending them with the ground layer.

Any thoughts are welcome.

1006 Bowling Ball Stars_850.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Beautiful work Kyle. I have along way to go to reach your MW abilities. I have not even tried stacking yet and actually hope I can get to a point with clean NR and fast enough lenses to not need it. But your planning and execution are flawless to my eyes. And your blending skills are also extremally good.

JimFox

Staff member
This is really nice Kyle! Just the perfect amount of light on the foreground. The core is sure getting low along the horizon.

One of these days I want to get back up to Bowling Ball Beach.

John Holbrook

A beautiful image with perfect compositing, editing—and planning. If I may ask, noting the specified f/4, what (wide angle) lens/focal length was used for that depth of field?

Last edited:
Top Bottom