Canon Eos Ra (astro camera)

Graeme F

Hey folks. Anyone had much experience with this camera. I've been offered a second hand version about 6months old for approx 700$.

JimFox

Staff member
I have seen Astro photos taken with it and they looked really good. What’s the new price on it?

Graeme F

Hi Jim, it looks like B&h selling them for 2500$ new. I'm told this one has not been used too much.

JimFox

Staff member
That’s quite the savings! I know an Astro camera is on my list. If the D810A ever dropped down to $1700 I would jump on it without thinking.

Yeah, switching to mirrorless is s change. But for Astro it won’t be that much of a change because we used the LiveView display anyway to set the focus at night. So that won’t be any different.

Graeme F

Cool. I've just phoned the guy who is selling and going over tomorrow to take a look at it

Graeme F

Right, Ive (gulp) put down some cash to hold the camera for me.. taking it for a test drive now on orion before clouds pile in in the next hour. If all good we agreed on 1650$ equivilent

JimFox

Staff member
Right, Ive (gulp) put down some cash to hold the camera for me.. taking it for a test drive now on orion before clouds pile in in the next hour. If all good we agreed on 1650$ equivilent
Well, I think you got an awesome deal! I wish I had an astro camera!

JimFox

Staff member
Wow Graeme. This gives some really great detail along most of it. You sure have me wanting to get a camera converted to Astro.

Next time make sure you expose for the highlights in the core. You can stretch the rest of the detail out.

Graeme F

Thanks Jim/Ben. The eos ra has no IR filter so let's in more red hydrogen light amongst other things. The liveview is really bright as well so no problem finding stars and could even see the nebula in the liveview quite clearly and at 30x magnification!

I was having real problems with my star tracker tho. It's used and seen better days and very prone to stick and judder so wasting alot of shots. I was stuck using 15sec exposures before clouds rolled in but was only a test so happy enough

Graeme F

Should have added this was with the 70-200mm f5.6. It's a class 5 bortle location where I live so light pollution bit of an issue. At least no moon last night!

JimFox

Staff member
I would say it's a winner Graeme! Keep it! :)

The fact that you can see the nebula in LiveView is amazing! That would be a real help for sure.

Graeme F

Thanks Jim. I really need help learning how to process astroimages (as well as taking them :) ) I think its suffering from softness

Top Bottom