Cat's Paw Nebula - 2020/05/26

JimFox

Staff member
From 2 weeks ago in Joshua Tree National Park which has Bortle 3 skies where I was shooting from.

This one is called Cat's Paw Nebula, and it does kind of represent a cat's paw, so I found it pretty cool. Now this is one that I had thought I wouldn't be able to capture do to it not being among the brighter Nebula, and with the gear I am using I really need brighter ones to capture. So I was really happy when I could see it and make it out. I didn't get as much data as I would have liked since it was the last thing I was shooting for the night, but I got enough to process and it came out pretty good.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Nikon D850
Tamron 150-600mm
SkyGuider Pro (tracking)
31 x 90 sec @ ISO 1600
20 x Dark Frames
20 x Bias Frames
20 x Flat Frames

CatsPaw_20200526_dw.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Amazing result from DSLR sensors and lenses.
It seems almost like the Nikon D850 was made for Astro! :) I have seen others using a DSLR like I am, so I know it's not just the D850 that can do it, but from what I have heard and seen it seems like the D850 is more sensitive to the wavelengths that these deep space objects emit.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Yes, that's a great result on a target that is a bit lower in surface brightness than a lot of the more commonly imaged targets. Big kudos to being able to find this and frame it up with your setup. Those very dark skies in JTNP are really paying off for you I think.

This is a nice processing result too, especially given the less than an hour's worth of subframes. I am continually impressed with what your stock DSLR can capture in the red channel. It has to be picking up more Hydrogen-alpha than I would have expected to get this kind of a result I would think, even considering the dark skies.

Great job!

ML

From 2 weeks ago in Joshua Tree National Park which has Bortle 3 skies where I was shooting from.

This one is called Cat's Paw Nebula, and it does kind of represent a cat's paw, so I found it pretty cool. Now this is one that I had thought I wouldn't be able to capture do to it not being among the brighter Nebula, and with the gear I am using I really need brighter ones to capture. So I was really happy when I could see it and make it out. I didn't get as much data as I would have liked since it was the last thing I was shooting for the night, but I got enough to process and it came out pretty good.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Nikon D850
Tamron 150-600mm
SkyGuider Pro (tracking)
31 x 90 sec @ ISO 1600
20 x Dark Frames
20 x Bias Frames
20 x Flat Frames

View attachment 29258
I havew never heard of this one, Jim. It's really neat.

JimFox

Staff member
Yes, that's a great result on a target that is a bit lower in surface brightness than a lot of the more commonly imaged targets. Big kudos to being able to find this and frame it up with your setup. Those very dark skies in JTNP are really paying off for you I think.

This is a nice processing result too, especially given the less than an hour's worth of subframes. I am continually impressed with what your stock DSLR can capture in the red channel. It has to be picking up more Hydrogen-alpha than I would have expected to get this kind of a result I would think, even considering the dark skies.

Great job!

ML
Thanks so much Mike. I am trying to stretch out a bit, to see just how far I can push my gear to capture new to me space objects.

I am sure enjoying the quality of the images from my Nikon D850. It sure doesn't disappoint.

Top Bottom