Columbia Gorge

Bill Crawford

Most of the Gorge photos you see are taken on the Oregon side of the river, but after being frustrated by the lack of access to so many good places to shoot, I discovered the Washington side. Not to say that it's easy, but at least you are able to pull over and park alone the highway without risking a ticket. There's still the railroad tracks to contend with, but the BNRR people seem to be somewhat tolerant of trespassers. Here's some shots from my latest trip.

_MPH0824-2.jpg

After reading Ken Rennie's thread ; Look then look again, I gave this shot a second look and saw this version-

_MPH0822-2.jpg

Instead of cropping the first one down, I found a little darker image taken a few minutes earlier.

_MPH0848.jpg

I spotted this on the way back, the sun shining through the tree looked so cool, but the dynamic range was so extreme, making a very hard capture. I'm still not happy with it, but I don't have the editing skills to get it right.
_MPH0868-2.jpg

_MPH0898-2.jpg

Tunnel #1 and Drano Lake.

_MPH1016-2.jpg

I thought these Scrub Oakes made a good foreground for Tunnel #1.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
These are great images, 2 and 4 are my favorites. Hwy 14 is a great route through the gorge which I drove many times going from Sutherlin Or to Spokane wash.

AlanLichty

Very nice set of images. I used to belong to the Maryhill Wine Club and drove up WA14 from Vancouver to Maryhill several times per year. I like the Washington side in terms of the drive but if I need to get to Hood River or the Dalles the freeway is faster.

#2 and #5 are my favorites - I like this tunnels and have not climbed up for a view of them like you got. Neat shots.

JimFox

Staff member
Really cool work Bill! The Columbia River Gorge is an area I don’t get up to that often, but I do get there every few years. I think I may have driven the Washington side once. Clearly I need to rectify that. I really like that there are so many different views to be had.

My favorite I think is #4. I do wish the clouds on the left had some more detail, but the view and the shore make up for it.

Tunnel #1 is my 2nd favorite. A suggestion on that would be to crop a bit off the bottom to lose that tree in the lower left corner. I think having the train tracks cleanly exit the frame could strengthen the image even more. Anyway, if it was mine I would try it to see if I liked it better.

Tom Narwid

Most of the Gorge photos you see are taken on the Oregon side of the river, but after being frustrated by the lack of access to so many good places to shoot, I discovered the Washington side. Not to say that it's easy, but at least you are able to pull over and park alone the highway without risking a ticket. There's still the railroad tracks to contend with, but the BNRR people seem to be somewhat tolerant of trespassers. Here's some shots from my latest trip.

View attachment 16861
After reading Ken Rennie's thread ; Look then look again, I gave this shot a second look and saw this version-

View attachment 16862
Instead of cropping the first one down, I found a little darker image taken a few minutes earlier.

View attachment 16863
I spotted this on the way back, the sun shining through the tree looked so cool, but the dynamic range was so extreme, making a very hard capture. I'm still not happy with it, but I don't have the editing skills to get it right.
View attachment 16864

View attachment 16865
Tunnel #1 and Drano Lake.

View attachment 16866
I thought these Scrub Oakes made a good foreground for Tunnel #1.
Looks like you were on the right side of these.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Staff member
Looks like a cool place to shoot. I think my favorites are 2 and 5, although you must have pulled the shadows up on 2 aggressively, as the shadow noise is really pretty noticeable on that one. Perhaps some NR (seems like a lot of color noise in particular) could help out, especially if you could localize it to the dark areas only.

5 is a fun shot - really gives a great perspective on the road and the tunnels.

ML

Top Bottom