Crescent over West Fork (Infrared)

Jim Peterson

The objective of this hike in the West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon was to capture autumn leaves, and there were plenty of those to go around. But if you’re hiking in West Fork and forget to look up, you’ll miss a good bit of the natural beauty that abounds there. Hardy ponderosa pines cling to the rim, with their rugged forms underscoring the severe conditions under which they live.

Tech info: Nikon D3200 camera (modified for infrared with 590nm filter), Nikon 28-300mm lens at 240mm, 1/800 sec. at f11, ISO 800

Image ©2020 James D. Peterson

Crescent-over-West-Fork-Infrared.jpg

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
That is jaw-dropping - one of the best IR shots I have seen in a while, probably because the composition is so good it would be an exceptional image in normal light too. The angle of the view being up into the trees and then into the sky works masterfully here.

ML

JimFox

Staff member
This is totally awesome Jim! What a cool shot with the moon. But I also like the detail in the sky. I guess some light clouds? It almost comes across like a texture was used.

Amy Earl

This is really impressive. Love how the pine needles look soft against the sky. Everything appears to glow. Is that a natural consequence of shooting IR?

Top Bottom