Decaying memories

Jon Buffington

Here is an image I captured several years back and sold a print of last year to a client in southern California. One of the projects I have worked on, off and on, over the years is capturing the decaying farm life in middle TN. So many old farm houses and barns slowly being reclaimed by nature. Captured on a Leica M5 with the 50/2 summitar and light yellow filter, kodak TMX film, Kodak pakon f135+ scanner, ever so slight retouching in LR.

AlanLichty

Run down? Nah - a quick coat of paint and it will look like new again. Good cross ventilation for those hot summer days too. Might need a good sized bucket for rainy days however :)

A really nice portrait of the decay. B&W is perfect for this specimen. Mother Nature is definitely making her voice heard with the process.

Jon Buffington

Run down? Nah - a quick coat of paint and it will look like new again. Good cross ventilation for those hot summer days too. Might need a good sized bucket for rainy days however :)

A really nice portrait of the decay. B&W is perfect for this specimen. Mother Nature is definitely making her voice heard with the process.
😃 My grandfather spent his early adult life in a house probably not much better than this in TN, one room dirt floor in all. Thank you for the kinds words.

It fun to do this over time. I did an old barn in north Idaho until one year it was gone
That it is! Also a little sad at times as I have photographed some of the old places and return and they are now gone. One in particular was this beautiful barn in Lynchburg (home of Jack Daniels). I was able to capture the barn half fallen (maybe I will post it soon). Another film shooter friend captured it the week before fully standing. I went back a week later and it was collapsed. Now no trace that it was ever there.

JimFox

Staff member
Very nice work Jon! Old buildings like this are super fun to capture. I know as I travel I am always keeping my eye out for them.

There is an old time feel to this that really adds to it. It looks like the photo was captured 100 years ago.

Jon Buffington

Good treatment in B&W - perfect for this subject. Nice find.
Thank you!

Very nice work Jon! Old buildings like this are super fun to capture. I know as I travel I am always keeping my eye out for them.

There is an old time feel to this that really adds to it. It looks like the photo was captured 100 years ago.
Thank you Jim! I do shoot color but gravitate more and more to B&W for this type of capture as I feel it fits.

Jon Buffington

Well done Jon.. love to see the Jack Daniels barn
Thank you Dean! The "barns" are pretty darn big, huge concrete buildings dotting the countryside outside Lynchburg. More like warehouses, lol! There are a bunch of neat barns in the area :) I will post one in decay next.

Top Bottom