Don't Get Stuck

AlanLichty

You weren't generous enough to help the poor cholla spread its offspring around the desert floor? I see a lot of little opportunities just waiting to hitch a ride.......

Ouch!! A friend of mine was trying to convince me that it was possible to play catch with a piece of Teddy Bear Cholla. I said ---NO WAY. He picks one up and it immediately sticks in his hand. I try to pull it out with my tripod, and it immediately rolls down the tripod leg and sticks in my hand. I finally got it out with my tripod but had little bumps in my hand for months where the needles stuck in my hand. From then on, I have given them a wide berth.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Pliers were a standard tool for removing these whenever I spent time in the desert in the 1970’s

JimFox

Staff member
You weren't generous enough to help the poor cholla spread its offspring around the desert floor? I see a lot of little opportunities just waiting to hitch a ride.......
Oh, they were all over the ground, they just blend in. I don't go to the garden that often because it's almost impossible to not some stuck in your shoes at some point. I have actually had some poke completely through the rubber sole of my hiking boots and poke my feet.

JimFox

Staff member
Ouch!! A friend of mine was trying to convince me that it was possible to play catch with a piece of Teddy Bear Cholla. I said ---NO WAY. He picks one up and it immediately sticks in his hand. I try to pull it out with my tripod, and it immediately rolls down the tripod leg and sticks in my hand. I finally got it out with my tripod but had little bumps in my hand for months where the needles stuck in my hand. From then on, I have given them a wide berth.
Did this friend of yours like to play catch on the freeway too? ;) there is no way I am purposely going to be stuck, I have been stuck accidently at least 50 or 60 times.

Top Bottom