Fall Color Reports - 2020

JimFox

Staff member
Report your Fall Color findings here. Any news you find, please link or report. As you travel, and fall color updates in regards to timing, please share also.

Please include the following Information in your Report.

1. Date
2. Location
3. Relative Information
4. Photos of the Fall Colors (iPhone photos are totally perfect)

Thanks so much,

Jim

JimFox

Staff member
Sept 6 2020 - I came across this yesterday, I know Colorado is a common destination for many of us. It looks like fall colors may come sooner then normal. Tie in drought conditions along with an expected 12” of snow in parts of the state, and there is the recipe for early fall colors.

Look at the attached map.

6A00EDF5-2C67-4913-9A8E-2EBA0D795806.jpeg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I glass my local mountain each day for signs of color. Yesterday I saw some yellow and red in scattered patches too faint to see without binoculars. I am guessing two more weeks for the oak to start showing in significant color.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Have a leaf trip planned for last week in September, to the Crested Butte area. Thinking now that might be too late. But not going to be easy (if even possible) to change the dates at this point. Whats the consensus - does that sound like too late for Colorado this year?

ML

JimFox

Staff member
Have a leaf trip planned for last week in September, to the Crested Butte area. Thinking now that might be too late. But not going to be easy (if even possible) to change the dates at this point. Whats the consensus - does that sound like too late for Colorado this year?

ML
It's too early to tell yet Mike, we will know more after the snow and the effects of it are felt. I would say by Friday we should have a better feel.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
It's too early to tell yet Mike, we will know more after the snow and the effects of it are felt. I would say by Friday we should have a better feel.

Ok thanks Jim, I am sure you are correct. So far just rain down here along the front range. No doubt some snow up higher. Guessing this will all turn to snow at some point this evening.

ML

Amy Nelson

Ok thanks Jim, I am sure you are correct. So far just rain down here along the front range. No doubt some snow up higher. Guessing this will all turn to snow at some point this evening.

ML
Snow in Crested Butte tonight.
camera.jpg

Not a great image, but the blows have been out.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Hoping the leaves don't go from green directly to brown this year after this. Might be able to pull trip back one week, but still not clear at all what the right approach might be. If we wait long enough to decide that choice will be off the table.

Had hoped to have my new R5 by the time of this trip but looking now like that is unlikely. probably come while I am gone no doubt :)

ML

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I drove to Mill Canyon Ridge this afternoon Sep 10. The color is starting and looks to be about a week away for the oak. Nothing going with the Aspen yet, probably 2-3 weeks. This is just east of American Fork Utah. Looking west toward the Wasatch range.

Mill canyon Ridge
200910-14136-5DS R.jpg

Alpine Loop Road.
200910-14142-5DS R.jpg

JimFox

Staff member

TimMc

Supporting Member
Current Fall Colors in Minnesota on Sept 13, 2020.
That map pretty well crushes the idea of going north this week :( But at least it's believable, the various tourist bureaus will have peak color from now until the end of November :)

JimFox

Staff member
That map pretty well crushes the idea of going north this week :( But at least it's believable, the various tourist bureaus will have peak color from now until the end of November :)
Ha ha, that’s so true!

Where are you located again Tim? Depending on the Colorado fall colors, I am toying with the idea of heading over to the Midwest to shoot some fall color this year.

TimMc

Supporting Member
Jim, I live in Oshkosh, about 40 minutes south of Green Bay. But travel wise all of the south shore of Superior and Duluth up the north shore are easy trips. If things can work, I will be glad to meet up.

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
Jim, I live in Oshkosh, about 40 minutes south of Green Bay. But travel wise all of the south shore of Superior and Duluth up the north shore are easy trips. If things can work, I’lol be glad to meet up.
Sounds good Tim, I have been through Oshkosh a few times. I will let you know when I know. :) I probably won't decide for another week or so. I am still in SoCal, but should be heading back towards Colorado in a week.

AlanLichty

This is very early for the NW coastal vegetation to be showing colors but I saw quite a few trees changing while driving out to the Astoria area yesterday and even more today hiking in Ft. Stevens State Park. This feels like it's almost a month ahead of typical leaf change timing. This was a trail I was walking on within the park from this morning (Sept. 15, 2020) while it was lightly raining.

FtStevensTrails.jpg

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
This is very early for the NW coastal vegetation to b e showing colors but I saw quite a few trees changing while driving out to the Astoria area yesterday and even more today hiking in Ft. Stevens State Park. This feels like it's almost a month ahead of typical leaf change timing. This was a trail I was walking on within the park from this morning while it was lightly raining.

View attachment 32183
Thanks for the update Alan! If you can add the Date into your post that would be awesome. It will make for easier reference in the future.

And this is really cool, lots of color in this I would say. Interesting that it is that far ahead.

Top Bottom