Fall Colors in NW Grayshine

AlanLichty

The folks who give weather reports in the Pacific NW come up with a lot of euphemisms for yet another rainy day and one of them is to call it either liquid sunshine or grayshine. This was a day of moderate grayshine along the North Fork Road just east of Florence well up into the hills with soggy fall leaves.

NForkSiuslaw3.jpg

C&C always welcome.

AlanLichty

Were you hiking or driving. Good on ya for getting out on a day like that. I like the mist in the background.
Thanks Jim. I was driving - I had never been up the North Fork road and wanted to see what that fork of the river looked like. It turned out there was a one lane paved road that went all the way to the ridge line separating the drainages that flow to the north of Heceta Head and the Siuslaw. This shot was right at the top of the ridge roughly 12 miles from Florence. The mist in the background is rain - Florence measured a couple of inches that day and it was coming down harder up on the mountainside.

AlanLichty

Lot of grayshine here. Nicely framed and the background mist is a nice setting for the foliage color.
Thanks Jameel.

Very pleasing image Alan. I don't think I have ever been up that road.
Thanks Ben - I had never ventured up there either which is exactly why I decided to take a windshield tour and find out where it went and what was up there. I am on the prowl looking for more places like Sweet Creek in the coastal mountains. My next target will be following the Smith River above its junction with the Umpqua east of Reedsport.

JimFox

Staff member
I remember the Liquid Sunshine term from when I lived up there, I always thought that was so funny, but true.

A great shot Alan, well composed and the mood in the background makes for a great backdrop.

AlanLichty

I remember the Liquid Sunshine term from when I lived up there, I always thought that was so funny, but true.

A great shot Alan, well composed and the mood in the background makes for a great backdrop.
Thanks Jim - I wasn't expecting scenes like this when I started out that morning but once the road started climbing up out of the river valley and away from the farms I ended up pulling over in almost every turnout I encountered.

The folks who give weather reports in the Pacific NW come up with a lot of euphemisms for yet another rainy day and one of them is to call it either liquid sunshine or grayshine. This was a day of moderate grayshine along the North Fork Road just east of Florence well up into the hills with soggy fall leaves.

View attachment 44396

C&C always welcome.

Alan, I follow a few meteorologists twitter, they try hard to make the weather report not boring.

Oliver

Top Bottom