Fall in the Smokies

Travis Rhoads

About a week ago I was in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park chasing fall color. The previous weekend I was supposed to go, but had to change my plans, and then that week we saw really cold weather, rain and high winds. Peak color got wiped out for the most part. But there was still some left, and I made the most of it. I will be back there this weekend, and I am sure the color will be almost gone...which means black and whites and details of the water. Anyway, I am essentially done with my edits from the trip, save one...I thought I would share them here while I have a minute...been really busy for work lately...
#1: The Whale Tail
WhaleTail-Fb-ig.jpg

#2: Triple Falls
TRipleFalls.jpg

#3: Downstream Flow, probably the best color I found in the park.
DownstreamFlow-FB-IG.jpg

#Lynn Camp Prong Cascades...so much water this actually was visible...it usually isn't from this spot.
LynnCampCascades-FB.jpg

#5: Tremont Yellow, a detail of yellow fall leaves framing the reflecting pools of the river beyond.
TremontYellow.jpg

AlanLichty

I am with Jon - #1 and #3 are real standouts from a very nice set of images. You may have been past peak colors but still have some beautiful displays left with these shots.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Travis, I know you have been busy so it's much appreciated that you were able to take the time and get these posted here. If the Smokies were past peak when you were there you sure did find some pocket's of gold then. These are all great. I think my favorites are #1 and 2. That triple falls is sure sweet. And then I would say #5 really stands out to me. I like that limited DoF and how you created something we don't see too much of. Great work!

Travis Rhoads

Very nice series! #1 and #3 particularly like.
Thanks Jon! #1 is a favorite for sure!

Nice set. #1 is juicy :D
Thanks Jordan! That is a new way to describe it!

Another vote for one and three but I would be happy to have any
Thanks Ben...I am glad I don't have to pick a favorite...they are all like children...can't really pick a favorite. I like them all for different reasons.

I am with Jon - #1 and #3 are real standouts from a very nice set of images. You may have been past peak colors but still have some beautiful displays left with these shots.
Thanks Alan. #3 was one I had to work harder to get and nearly fell in the river more than once...but I couldn't pass up that color.

Hey Travis, I know you have been busy so it's much appreciated that you were able to take the time and get these posted here. If the Smokies were past peak when you were there you sure did find some pocket's of gold then. These are all great. I think my favorites are #1 and 2. That triple falls is sure sweet. And then I would say #5 really stands out to me. I like that limited DoF and how you created something we don't see too much of. Great work!
Hey Jim, thanks. Yes, past peak for sure. Most of the leaves had already been knocked down by the weather and places that should have been like #3, but so many parts of the park were bare...there was snow on the ground at the higher elevations. #5 is something different, I shot it full well figuring that it would not appeal to anyone else...but I liked it...I am a shallow DoF junkie...but to my surprise, it has been well received!

Congrats on the Daily Featured Post Travis!

@Travis Rhoads
wow, thanks Jim, that is too kind of you.

Really lovely set!
Thank you very much Barry.

Nice work! #3 & 4 for me.
Thanks Jim! #4 is special, that section usually has very little water and certainly not enough to have white water...that heavy section mid way up was moving so fast it would have knocked a person out and tossed them down the hill...

Travis Rhoads

Travis,
These are BEAUTIFUL! hopefully one of these years i can be out your way to shoot the fall colors
Thank you Sunny. If you ever make it out this way..please, by all means let me know, be glad to show you or anyone else around...

That's a great set of images. Doesn't look as though you were lacking for color; and you certainly made the most of it.

Bart
Thank you Bart, the Tremont area was just past peak, so still good color. Other parts of the park were already bare having just started to show good color a week earlier. A hard freeze followed by snow and high winds did the color in a little early. I did the best I could in the lowest elevation of park.

Dean

Travis,
Excellent set of images. #1 would be my favorite I particularly like the way the image is composed with the transitions from fall color in soft light in the far ground then flowing into the green. I saw your comment to Jim about 5 I like it as well.. I might try a version where you crop the bottom section Keeping just one set of in focus leaves. I like the connection of the reflected yellow light in the pool in the oof area to the focus area . Great job on these.
Regards, Dean

Travis Rhoads

Travis,
Excellent set of images. #1 would be my favorite I particularly like the way the image is composed with the transitions from fall color in soft light in the far ground then flowing into the green. I saw your comment to Jim about 5 I like it as well.. I might try a version where you crop the bottom section Keeping just one set of in focus leaves. I like the connection of the reflected yellow light in the pool in the oof area to the focus area . Great job on these.
Regards, Dean
Thanks for the feedback Dean. For #5, this is cropped from the original, to a 7x6 format. The original had a lot more on the bottom that wasn't helping, I looked at more of a square crop about where you suggest, but it was too tight to the reflected pools, and it didn't frame those pools as nicely. It left the bottom of the frame with nothing in focus and it didn't work as well to my eye.

gorgeous photos, especially the first few.
Thank you very much.

Top Bottom