Fast water edits added

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I was saving this for Wenesday but I will be camping then so I decided to post it today. I got this last week on my way home from one of my flower shots. This is the American Fork River and it's about this fast for miles and miles. Next week I hope to be in the upper reaches of Provo River and will be looking for more fast water and few real waterfalls.

CC welcome
180620-6732-5DS R.jpg

wider view
180620-6722-5DS R.jpg

lionking

Supporting Member
I Like them both, the wider works better for me, but both have the same issue, the FG is too bright, those rock reflections take too much attention, IMHO i would probably darken those and let the leading lines lead to that beautiful greenery...

Cheers.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Ben, I like the wider view also. One thing with these is the cyan cast in the ground/water area. I have had that happen and for me that color cast doesn't work. You could try warming up the rocks and water. Or I just ran the bottom one through Silver FX Pro and it looks really sweet I think in B&W.

AlanLichty

I am going to be a contrary 'cuz I like the tighter view of the flowing water in the first image. My usual technique for water color casts is to use the targeted adjustment tool to back off on the saturation and luminance in the water in Lightroom.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks alan. And here are two fixes.

One reduces the blue by adding red, and it also darkens the rocks. The second is the same image in B&W.

180620-6722-5DS R A.jpg

180620-6722-5DS R A bw.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Ben, both edits look better to me. With the B&W, how about darkening the midtones everywhere in the image except for the actual water?

01Ryan10

Founding Member
I don't know what shutter speed you used, but it's perfect for my taste. Not silky smooth, not frozen motion, just right to show the water's energy.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Ryan, I usually take several in the 1/3 to 1/10 sec range and choose later which one works best. Often time I have more than one at the same speed and one of them is better.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Ben, I am liking that last edit the most, darkening those areas helps to stop the eye from being distracted by their relative brightness.

How are you liking the edits?

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I might like the last edit if it were in color. I could do the same to it. I think I have better shots from here and I hope to get better in the next coupld days.

Top Bottom