First Image from My Observatory - The Rosette Nebula

Colorado CJ

Hello again everyone. I haven't posted here in a while. Clouds and work kinda got in the way. I also was building a little backyard observatory! It is a little 8' geodesic dome design that I made from scratch with foam, wire and stucco. I started building it last December, but I figured I'd better finish it up and I did a couple weeks ago.

I completed (so far anyway, these could always use more data), my first image from my new observatory!

It sure is nice to sit inside and image, especially in the biting winter winds. I started this image a few days ago, on a night that had 70+ m.p.h. gusts. In fact, just up the road at Carter Lake, they recorded a couple of gusts up over 100 m.p.h.!

No problem in my dome though. The wind didn't get inside at all and I was able to image 5 minute exposures with the stars staying nice and round. I am just a little pleased with my dome :D.

Anyway, last night I was able to capture a little SII data on the Rosetta nebula to go with the Ha and OIII data I had before.

I only got 10 images at 300 seconds of SII before clouds rolled in, but I wanted to see how it all looked together. I will definitely be getting more data as this image is still too grainy.

The first is in the "Hubble Palette" where the Sulfur II is red, the Hydrogen Alpha is green and the Oxygen II is blue. The second is in HSO Palette, where the Hydrogen is red, the Sulfur is green and the Oxygen is blue.

Rosetta-SHO-1-Small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

HSO-2-small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Wow, good job, it's always satisfying when a project meets or exceeds expectation. At first I was leaning to the hubble version, but upon closer examination I think I prefer the HSO as it adds more impact to the tendrils.

JimFox

Staff member
Awesome work Andrew! Both images are great, it's really hard to decide between the 2, but perhaps I lean a bit to #1.

That little dome is so awesome! That has got to be such a satisfying feeling with what you have accomplished there with that. Does the dome rotate? Or is your opening position fixed? No matter what, this really is so awesome! Maybe when I next come out there you can give me a tour of it. Perhaps by then I will have had a chance to dabble enough in the Deep Space photography that I can ask an intelligent question or two... :eek:

Colorado CJ

Awesome work Andrew! Both images are great, it's really hard to decide between the 2, but perhaps I lean a bit to #1.

That little dome is so awesome! That has got to be such a satisfying feeling with what you have accomplished there with that. Does the dome rotate? Or is your opening position fixed? No matter what, this really is so awesome! Maybe when I next come out there you can give me a tour of it. Perhaps by then I will have had a chance to dabble enough in the Deep Space photography that I can ask an intelligent question or two... :eek:
Yes, the dome rotates. I will eventually automate the rotation and the shutter opening so I won't have to be in the dome for everything to work. Everything will be fully automated to run through the night while I sleep. Right now I am rotating the dome by hand.

Yeah, I can show you around when you get back up this way.

Did you image anything let with your tracker? As I said, once you start using it, look out. You can get into the deep end pretty quick! I kinda fell into the deep end myself ;)

AlanLichty

Kinda fell into the deep end? That's an understatement :D Very nice construction work that should provide a lot of hours of fun.

I find myself leaning towards the first image with the SHO palette as I do like the blues in that version.

Nice work!

lionking

Wow man!
I cant decide whats cooler: the setup or the result?
Great work on both, good luck with it.
Hopefully will see more images taken using it.

Top Bottom