Fox Family

MonikaC

This time I had my 150-600mm lens -- boy, I'd forgotten how hard it is to handhold & pinpoint the focus point! Some crops are still pretty substantial, just not on the 1st one. Babies were down below the road while mom patrolled from the crag above. Let me know if the OOF foreground on her (#3) is too prominent. I didn't have any decent results trying to remove it, but may go back to it as the light really made her fur a nice color. Or there could be another time, another shot......

Fox3-5.21CropNik.jpg
Fox4-5.21CropNik.jpg
Mamafox2-5.21CropNik.jpg
Fox2-5.21CropNik.jpg

AlanLichty

Wow - what an amazing set of portraits of this family. I like the shots of the little ones.

When the eyes are in focus the rest doesn't matter 😁

JimFox

Staff member
Wow... I thought you were posting a Family portrait for me Monika by the title!

My favorite here is #1, followed by #3, then #4 and #2 is the only one I think doesn't really belong with the rest. The striped lighting and closed eyes, it just doesn't stack up well with the other 3. #3 works fine for me with the OOF foreground. If it was a Landscape photo, no it wouldn't work. But as wildlife, it is great!

I plan on calling on you in about 3 weeks, I would like to see my relatives in person. :)

MonikaC

Wow - what an amazing set of portraits of this family. I like the shots of the little ones.

When the eyes are in focus the rest doesn't matter 😁
I agree with Alan, Monika. In focus eyes is all that matters. This is a wonderful series. I wish I had been there.
Wow... I thought you were posting a Family portrait for me Monika by the title!

Haha! Maybe you'll have to pose with them.....

My favorite here is #1, followed by #3, then #4 and #2 is the only one I think doesn't really belong with the rest. The striped lighting and closed eyes, it just doesn't stack up well with the other 3. #3 works fine for me with the OOF foreground. If it was a Landscape photo, no it wouldn't work. But as wildlife, it is great!

I included #2 because I like the tongue action..... :p

I plan on calling on you in about 3 weeks, I would like to see my relatives in person. :)
Thanks, guys. It's fun watching these neighbors of mine.

Jim Dockery

Fantastic, agree with all the above comments. The one thing I've been doing with shots like this with OOF areas is to blur them even more in ACR with an adjustment brush set to -100 sharpness, - clarity & texture, and increase noise reduction. If I want to go further I'll duplicate this effect. Sometimes I'll then do another adjustment brush to increase sharpness. clarity, and texture on the sharp part, in this case the face.

MonikaC

Fantastic, agree with all the above comments. The one thing I've been doing with shots like this with OOF areas is to blur them even more in ACR with an adjustment brush set to -100 sharpness, - clarity & texture, and increase noise reduction. If I want to go further I'll duplicate this effect. Sometimes I'll then do another adjustment brush to increase sharpness. clarity, and texture on the sharp part, in this case the face.
Thanks, Jim. I do try to decrease the contrast,raise/lower the brightness, decrease clarity/detail with the background, but it was getting towards bedtime, so I didn't think to try it with that OOF foreground.

Top Bottom