Friday’s Focus - 2020/05/29 - In the Canyon

Ken Rennie

Three views of Gordale Scar in North Yorkshire. Limestone country with many small rivers that suddenly bubble out of the ground. This one has a waterfall that appears straight out of the rock face as can be seen in the first image. Unfortunately I am not fit enough to get up close to there. Ken
_DSC2095-1.jpg

_DSC2089-1.jpg

_DSC2083-1.jpg

Here is my contribution. This is Mosaic Canyon in Death Valley. You are looking at an ancient debris flow in which chunks of limestone were carried downstream during a flood. You can also see a more recent debris flow with much smaller pieces sitting on top the old one. I am also including another image of a cross-section along the side of the canyon wall which has been abraded and polished by stream flow during flooding events to make a beautiful mosaic.

mosaic canyon.jpg

Mosaic Canyon breccia, Death Valley, CA.jpg

Three views of Gordale Scar in North Yorkshire. Limestone country with many small rivers that suddenly bubble out of the ground. This one has a waterfall that appears straight out of the rock face as can be seen in the first image. Unfortunately I am not fit enough to get up close to there. Ken
View attachment 28905

View attachment 28906

View attachment 28907
These are all wonderful, Ken, but what will you do for "Waterfall Wednesday's" from now on?

Top Bottom