Friday's Focus - 2020/05/05 - Dead Trees

AlanLichty

I had an old favorite moss covered snag in the Hoh rainforest I used to revisit whenever I was in the area and started shooting it in different seasons just for grins.

This is a summer scene:

HohGhost-Summer2.jpg

The is from a fall visit:

HohGhost-Fall2.jpg

I was up on the Olympic Peninsula one winter and got excited to see snow one morning so I dashed over to the Hoh to get the shot that would round out my collection but as it turned out the moss and gravity had finally prevailed and only left a stump standing where the tree once stood:

HohGhost-Winter.jpg

Jim Dockery

Sweet shots so far. I really like the moss covered trees in the rainforest Alan, inspired me to look for some.

Masai-Mara-(14)-copy.jpg

I've posted this before from Kenya, grass fire smoke in the sky. Shot back in the 80s.

AdamsGlacierTree.jpg

Mt. Adams

Rainier-trees_Pano.jpg

Mt. Rainier from Mt. Adams

Spectacle-Lake_Pano7.jpg

Spectacle Lake

Silver-Forest-Sunrise_Pano-bw.jpg

Silver Forest, Mt. Rainier

Hoh-Rainforest-115b.jpg

Hoh Rainforest

Last edited:

Jeffrey

For me, as well as others here I see, It is hard NOT to photograph the Ancient Bristlecone Pines in the White Mountains of eastern California. I've probably spent 75 nights up there, always photographing. I would live there for a week at a time, many times. I know every tree!! Hard to choose, but this one keeps popping up as one of my classics...

leaningbcone1.jpg

And another that has two expired trees in it...

bconesunsetcloud3.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
I had an old favorite moss covered snag in the Hoh rainforest I used to revisit whenever I was in the area and started shooting it in different seasons just for grins.

This is a summer scene:

View attachment 29133

The is from a fall visit:

View attachment 29134

I was up on the Olympic Peninsula one winter and got excited to see snow one morning so I dashed over to the Hoh to get the shot that would round out my collection but as it turned out the moss and gravity had finally prevailed and only left a stump standing where the tree once stood:

View attachment 29132
I don't know Alan.... Very cool photos, but I am having a hard time finding the dead tree through all of the live ones. 🤫

AlanLichty

I don't know Alan.... Very cool photos, but I am having a hard time finding the dead tree through all of the live ones. 🤫
It's the one that almost looks like a mossy saguaro almost dead center. Oh yeah - and it's the one that's missing in the last image :)

Top Bottom