Friday's Focus - 2020/08/21 - Trails

Kyle Jones

For this Friday we are looking at trails through the landscape - and if you don't have that you share an image taken from a trail. If you can remember it, please include the trail name with your image(s) just in case someone else wants to check it out.

I'll start things off with an image I captured yesterday on the Highline Trail in Glacier.
3191 Flowers on the Highline_850.jpg

For this Friday we are looking at trails through the landscape - and if you don't have that you share an image taken from a trail. If you can remember it, please include the trail name with your image(s) just in case someone else wants to check it out.

I'll start things off with an image I captured yesterday on the Highline Trail in Glacier.
View attachment 31492
Beautiful, Kyle. Have you made it all of the way to the Granite Park Chalet and had their wonderful pie?

Ken Rennie

This is likely to be very different from the other trail images. In 2013 after retiring in 2012 my wife and I went on a long planned trip to New Zealand. During that trip we walked the Ae
Abel Tasman trail along the north coast of the south island. Unlike most trails this one changes every day because most of it is along the beach with frequent crossing of tidal inlets which can involve everything from slightly muddy crossings to full on swims across several hundred yards. There are no roads in or out, sail or walk only. We started with a powerboat sail along the coast, seeing penguins in 70+ temperatures was wonderful although having to wade through the shallows with multiple stingrays under your feet raised the pulse rate more than I wanted. We didn't walk the entire route, only 2 days worth but being out of the sight, sound and smell of engines was wonderful. The rules are simple you carry evrything in and out, fresh water, basic sleeping and toilet facilities are supplied everything else is up to you, the insides of wine boxes are surprisingly light.
_DSF2194 as Smart Object-1 copy.jpg

Working out the best route requires a tide table and a lot of risk assessments as swimming with a laden rucksack is not a skill that we have ever got to terms with. 50 yards across the mouth of an estuary or several miles of bushwhacking the choice is yours.
Untitled_Panorama1 copy.jpg

_DSF2335.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom