Ft. Vancouver - The U.S. Army Base

AlanLichty

Ft. Vancouver was a name given to two vastly different outposts in what is now Vancouver Washington. The original was a Hudson Bay Company trading post inside of a simple stockade that had no active military presence at all. The Hudson Bay Company was only interested in the fur trade and worked with the native populations to obtain fur pelts in exchange for European goods. Up until 1846 the north banks of the Columbia were considered British territory but once the border was established at the 49th parallel everything from the Columbia River up to 49 degrees North became part of the Oregon Territory.

Some of the settlers who had come west to claim lands in Oregon started to set up farms in the areas around Vancouver and immediately ran into conflicts with the native populations they were encroaching upon. The U.S. sent troops to protect the settlers and built a new Fort Vancouver on the hillside just above the original Hudson Bay Company stockade. The new army base became permanent with barracks for the troops and housing for the officers surrounding a large parade grounds. The buildings that were in place by the late 1870's still stand today and are now under the care of the National Park Service. The Army and National Guard have left the facilities and parts of the buildings have been subdivided and rented out to various parties ranging from dental offices to lawyers and real estate offices.

These are a couple of shots from a visit yesterday showing some of the barracks buildings and one of the houses along Officer's Row. The Officer's Row houses were subdivided into several residences when they were originally build in the late 1800's.

Canon 5D Mk II 590nm IR with channels swapped.

Barracks:

FtVancouverBarracks061621.jpg

One of the buildings along Officer's Row:

FtVancouverOR061621.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
I like your color palette Alan. Nice pair of images. Another nod to the second one as well. Is this a straight channel swap or further tweaking the colors.

AlanLichty

Nicely done Alan, I really like that second one.
Thanks Ben.

I like your color palette Alan. Nice pair of images. Another nod to the second one as well. Is this a straight channel swap or further tweaking the colors.
Thanks Jameel - more than a small amount of tweaking both before the channel swap as well as after. I have a preset for Lightroom specs as well as presets for the channel swap and Topaz Studio using HSL Tuning.

AlanLichty

Thanks for the history Alan, and both of these look really sweet!
Thanks - this used to be part of my favorite lunchtime running loop when I was still working. I have been thinking about this place as an IR target ever since I sent my camera body in for conversion.

Graeme F

I blame this Forum for getting me an IR itch. my first thought these days is to take an IR shot. Curses.

Great shots as ever Alan. Very inspirational.

Top Bottom