Grand View

Timmeh

You have quite a massive area covered, and you convey it well. There's something to look at in the whole frame without getting lost.

Tim

Amy Earl

Yes, so much to look at and appreciate here. I love how you handled the lighting, it's very well balanced between earth and sky.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Very tasty sunrise - perfect timing on the great orb to get the rays peeking out from the horizon.
Thanks Alan, I am using the David Muench technique of shooting with 1/16 of the sun exposed and the rest hidden. One small flare to clone.

Nice skies to go with that view. The sun handled quite nicely.
Thanks Jameel

You have quite a massive area covered, and you convey it well. There's something to look at in the whole frame without getting lost.

Tim
I wanted the entire outline of Monument Basin to fit into the composition.

Yes, so much to look at and appreciate here. I love how you handled the lighting, it's very well balanced between earth and sky.
Thanks Amy, glad you like it.

JimFox

Staff member
Very cool Ben, that is one of my favorite views also.

I like what you got and how you worked the sun in this. Great job.

I am tempted to suggest a crop where you lose the top half of the sky. Those vapor trails do make for some very nice lines, but somehow when I mentally crop some off the top it seems to feel stronger. It could just be me.

Jim Dockery

That is one of the better shots I've seen of that view; nicely composed, good light, and well processed. I don't agree with Jim on the crop, in this case I might clone/content aware out the vapor trail top left because it looks too fresh. Makes me wish I was down in the desert right now, out of reach of the news for the next week.

pepper

the second is my favorite. the foreground is brighter and it seems like the canyon is better outlined with the added contrast. but both photos are excellent.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
the second is my favorite. the foreground is brighter and it seems like the canyon is better outlined with the added contrast. but both photos are excellent.
Thanks Pepper, my favorite too as it will print better.

AlanLichty

Gotta be a contrary here - the first one keeps my eyes wandering around the canyons where the second one has me staring into the sun and seeing less of that Grand View.

Jim Dockery

Like em both, but the second takes my vote by a slight margin. Like pepper said, the foreground works better, and you left the fresher contrail out of the frame.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Fantastic results on these. I will have to try that technique for getting the sun in without massive problems or complicated grad filters...

ML

Top Bottom