Grinnell Point, Glacier National Park.

This is a different perspective of the iconic mountain called Grinnell Point in the background. In fact I have never seen it photographed this way. I liked the tan Altyn Limestone with the orange lichens as a prominent foreground but I'm curious if others like this juxtaposition. BTW, I just saw this mountain portrayed in a Geico ad on TV. The Gecko was standing on this formation.

Grinnell Point from Many Glaciers Viewpoint, Glacier National Park, MT.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This is a new and very different interpretation. I like it, and I really like that limestone.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
I like it Doug. The contrast between the bright foreground and the dark mountain and the gloomy clouds makes this for me.

Bob

Doug,
I find the white rock in the foreground just to overwhelming. My eyes tend to just see the bright white. What about forgetting the background and just concentrating on the lichens and green shrub in the foreground?
Bob

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Doug, Bob makes a great point, but I have to say I do still kind of like Grinnell in the background. It's kind of like your eyes really focus on the foreground, and then it's like an oh wow moment when you see that Grinnell is almost hiding in the background.

Kyle Jones

I'm kind of with Bob. This image has a lot of great elements that almost work really well together. I think my biggest issue is that the strong leading lines are on the left and pretty much lead the eye out of the frame. I still think this is a nice image, I'm just wondering if there is a different composition that holds together just a little better.

Thank you for your constructive comments, Bob, Jim, and Kyle. I have reworked this image taking into account all of your comments. I have cropped much of the tan rock out and removed the leading lines on the left that go out of the image (this change makes the veins in the rock become the leading lines), darkened the tan rock to reduce its prominence, and lightened the background. Here is the result. Is it any better?

Grinnell Point from Many Glaciers Viewpoint, Glacier National Park, MT III.jpg

Last edited:

Bob

Doug,
I like this version better than the first one. The lines or cracks in the rock lead your eyes better to the mountain.
Bob

Top Bottom