How Many are Using Luminar 4?

JimFox

Staff member
I think Luminar 4 is what @Jim Dockery is using with the sky replacements? I don’t know if it does more then that.

So hopefully Jim see’s this as he probably knows more about it.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Sky replacement is part of what it does. It also has some portrait enhancement stuff. The buzzword these days is AI and everyone is adding AI to the name of their products (topaz does it as well). It is also a standalone editor and includes RAW convertor. As to how good the RAW convertor and editor is I don't have any first hand experience. I use PS exclusively and haven't even delved into LR even though it comes with the CC package.

JimFox

Staff member
Sky replacement is part of what it does. It also has some portrait enhancement stuff. The buzzword these days is AI and everyone is adding AI to the name of their products (topaz does it as well). It is also a standalone editor and includes RAW convertor. As to how good the RAW convertor and editor is I don't have any first hand experience. I use PS exclusively and haven't even delved into LR even though it comes with the CC package.
Jameel?? Here I thought I was the one left who only uses Photoshop and has never used LightRoom. It really made me happy to know that I am not alone! :)

JimFox

Staff member
Doug, if you do contact Jim Dockery, I hope he will share his thoughts in here as well so that we all can see what benefits there might be to Luminar 4.

sweetgrass

I own Luminar 4 and have used it as well as LR and LRC, but have since signed up for the CC subscription so I've been working more in PS. I do have a work flow that includes LR/LRC and PS, still trying to figure out what works best for me. I've spent the last 10 years pursuing my music and riding my motorcycles. So I have just recently gotten back into my photography, and thats the reason for the SW suite that I have. Now back to Luminar, its kind of gadgetry IMHO, yeah the Sky replacement is cool and with the recent update its way more believable. Some of the effects are kinda cool as well, and the processing can be pretty quick. There are also a lot of presets as well but I've never really used any of those. I think the processing aspect is very much like Adobe Camera Raw after working with that some. Where I found that it fell short, along with LR and LRC is having the ability to get granular. I'm still learning PS and have really only scratched the surface, but it is much more powerful that LR, LRC or Luminar and I guess why its the industry standard. Its like in the recording world, if you want a quality recording then the go to is Pro Tools. Anyway thats my experience with Luminar, and funny I found this post as they just pushed out an update today and was playing around with it.

~slr

Top Bottom