How would you Crop this?

JimFox

Staff member
I got this yesterday with the wildfires, I shot it from Anaheim right after I picked up some Chinese food. :)

This is a dng conversion from my Sony A6400. There is a dust spot or two, and I couldn't get any tighter. I autofilled the trees and power line out, but then I couldn't decide how I wanted to crop it. Vertical or Horizontal? How much tighter I wanted to go? I just couldn't decide, so I thought this would be a fun one if you guys and gals could help me.

I just thought that this could go into Let's Play, but I didn't want to make a contest of it, I just thought it would be fun to see how everyone would crop it. Also, feel free to process the look of it more if you choose, this was basically what it looked like as it was captured.

Thanks!

Jim

This is a jpg of it so you guys can see what the dng looks like.
_A648801-800px.jpg

Attachments

MonikaC

Here's one. I was sort of surprised that I liked the square crop as I had assumed that a vertical would be more appropriate for conveying the sense of space in the sky.

I'd been wondering if any of you had shot the orange sky I've been hearing about....
_A648801-1.jpg

AlanLichty

I like Monica's crop.

We only barely got to see the sun yesterday through the smoke in our area and while it was very orange to look at it directly (and you can look directly with the naked eye) most of the sky is a non-descript gray. There is a slight orange tint this morning but no trace of the sun at all yet beyond ambient that looks like well after sunset. Air quality in the Portland/Vancouver area is at 330 for PM2.5 and is rated at Dangerous levels.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Jim, this is the way I originally wanted Lets Play to work. Glad you entered this and it would be neat if others followed suit.

Here is my take on it, After a full Topaz treatment to enhance the colors and contrast, I gave it a forma rule of thirds treatment as it seemd to require this.

_A648801.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Here's one. I was sort of surprised that I liked the square crop as I had assumed that a vertical would be more appropriate for conveying the sense of space in the sky.

I'd been wondering if any of you had shot the orange sky I've been hearing about....
View attachment 32071
Thanks Monika, it's been more orange some days then others. Some days like yesterday it was mostly a thick gray and the sun was not even able to be seen.

It's funny, my first thought was for a vertical crop too, but then I went horizontal too.. :)

JimFox

Staff member
Jim, this is the way I originally wanted Lets Play to work. Glad you entered this and it would be neat if others followed suit.

Here is my take on it, After a full Topaz treatment to enhance the colors and contrast, I gave it a forma rule of thirds treatment as it seemd to require this.

View attachment 32075
Hey Ben, first off I like your edit and crop.

Perhaps we have hit onto something. we can have a discussion in the background about it.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Here is mine, just emphasizing the sun and the clouds that have texture and tonal gradations in them. I personally already like the colors so I did not mess with those...

JimF_A648801_cropped.jpg

ML

JimFox

Staff member
Here is mine, just emphasizing the sun and the clouds that have texture and tonal gradations in them. I personally already like the colors so I did not mess with those...

View attachment 32118

ML
Hey Mike, thanks! I actually had a similar crop to this one after I had done a vertical crop. That's where I got confused as to which way I wanted to orient the photo. :)

Dave Johnston

Great idea! Jeffrey beat me to the idea I had as soon as I saw the oringal. This lends itself so well to a minimalist approach, with just gradations of tone and color in the clouds around the sun, and with a pano crop to emphasize the horizontal. Jeffrey's idea of monochrome goes a step further and I really like it!

Dave

JimFox

Staff member
Great idea! Jeffrey beat me to the idea I had as soon as I saw the oringal. This lends itself so well to a minimalist approach, with just gradations of tone and color in the clouds around the sun, and with a pano crop to emphasize the horizontal. Jeffrey's idea of monochrome goes a step further and I really like it!

Dave
Yep, Jeffrey sure has an eye for these kind of things! :)

Top Bottom