iPhone 13 Pro - a small field test

AlanLichty

Other example is shooting waves (or scenes that include them) in high dynamic range conditions. The mechanical shutter simply can't shoot fast enough.

It would be nice to simply be able to turn something like on or off at will and still get RAW output from the camera.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Mechanics va electronic shutter. The Canon R5 has the ability to shoot both and selectable which one to use. They key to using electronic only is to have very fast read out which requires stacked and BSI sensors which both R3 and Z9 have.

the next step is to have the kind of processing power that the new mobile phones have. The raw files that iPhones produce are already a combination of m ultiple exposures handling expanded DR and stacked images.

Jim Dockery

Here is an iPhone 13 example from Skyline that I shot RAW and processed this morning. I then used the enhance processing in ACR to increase the size to 48 MP. It looks great when pixel peeping and I'm sure would print fine at 16x20.

On our recent desert trip my wife and I had a deal that we would balance out "Jim Days" (drone flying, tripod mounted photos, lots of stops, etc.) and "Debbie Days" (minimal photo time or processing). The phone worked great on those Debbie Days and still let me get some very nice shots. A happy wife = a happy life.

Skyline-P-495-Enhanced.jpg

AlanLichty

Here is an iPhone 13 example from Skyline that I shot RAW and processed this morning. I then used the enhance processing in ACR to increase the size to 48 MP. It looks great when pixel peeping and I'm sure would print fine at 16x20.

On our recent desert trip my wife and I had a deal that we would balance out "Jim Days" (drone flying, tripod mounted photos, lots of stops, etc.) and "Debbie Days" (minimal photo time or processing). The phone worked great on those Debbie Days and still let me get some very nice shots. A happy wife = a happy life.
That shot worked quite well. Nice arrangement you have with your wife. My wife requires the DSLR gear to stay home if she comes along. This was one of my motivations for moving up to the iPhone 13 Pro - better camera that I can always take along.

JimFox

Staff member

View attachment 43907
That’s a great shot Jim, and using the Enhanced processing in ACR is a good move.

Brian

I am more and more impressed with the 13 Pro Max all the time. Getting good photo’s from the office can be very difficult. Especially shooting through one inch glass. I’ve been comparing some of my iphone photo’s versus the a6000 with the kit lens, and I’m pretty sure the iPhone 13 Pro Max is better than the Sony.

AlanLichty

That's the view from your office? A rather amazing place to get to shoot from. Neat shots too.

I dreamed about having a view like these as I spent my work years in cubicles with no windows.

Brian

That's the view from your office? A rather amazing place to get to shoot from. Neat shots too.

I dreamed about having a view like these as I spent my work years in cubicles with no windows.
It is. I‘m a pretty lucky guy. The view from 38,000 feet ain’t too bad. And thank you.

Top Bottom