Israel, Jordan and Egypt (Updated 12/12)

Kyle Jones

I'm currently travelling in Israel with plans to make quick trips into Jordan and Egypt as well. I'll share a few shots along the way in this thread. These were taken with my EOS R but edited on my phone. When I get home I'll do my real processing and post some images in the appropriate forums. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Jaffa at sunrise - from my first morning in Tel Aviv. Couldn't have asked for better light!
01 Jaffa Sunrise_850.jpg

Beach in Tel Aviv - also from the first morning. We stayed in the hotel on the right.
02 Tel Aviv Morning_850.jpg

Mount Beatitudes - From Tel Aviv we headed up to Galilee. This unspectacular scene is taken from the location belived to be where Jesus gave His sermon on the mount. The covered areas on the right are banana groves, located where it is believed the people listened.
03 Beatitudes_850.jpg

Capernaum - These are the remains of the Byzantine synagogue built on top of the original synagogue in Capernaum
04 Capernaum_850.jpg

Abraham Gate - This is a mud-brick wall believe to date back 4000 years ago. The bricks on the right are more recent, added to show what they looked like. Notice the arch over the blocked entryway in the middle. That mud brick arch was made 1500 years before the Romans "invented" the arch.
05 Tel Dan_850.jpg

The view from Mt. Bental - The foreground is in Israel and you can see Syria in the sunlit area (the vertical line near the right edge is a border between Israel (right) and Syria (left) as well. The buildings on the right edge are a UN station.
06 Mt Bental_850.jpg

Sunset over the Sea of Galilee taken from Tabgha.
07 Tabgha Sunset_850.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Wow Kyle! It's so awesome seeing this and getting a glimpse into your trip. What a super cool sunrise you had in #1. Wow, Abraham Gate looks super cool. It's great to see that it looks like they are protecting it from the elements. And you got a great sunset over the Sea of Galilee.

These are all looking good, but I am looking forward to your edits when you get home.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Great stuff Kyle, really looking foreward to your posts when you get home. Stay safe, these are dangerous areas to be traveling.

AlanLichty

Cool shots Kyle. I love the cloud you got over the Sea of Galilee for a sunset.

Are you on a guided tour or roaming freely? Where all will you go in Jordan and Egypt? Can't wait to see more of this journey?

Kyle Jones

Cool shots Kyle. I love the cloud you got over the Sea of Galilee for a sunset.

Are you on a guided tour or roaming freely? Where all will you go in Jordan and Egypt? Can't wait to see more of this journey?
We're on a guided tour in Israel with a biblical focus. After Israel we'll visit Petra and the Wadi Rum in Jordan and the pyramids and old Cairo in Egypt.

AlanLichty

We're on a guided tour in Israel with a biblical focus. After Israel we'll visit Petra and the Wadi Rum in Jordan and the pyramids and old Cairo in Egypt.
I was hoping you were going to hit Petra on this trip. I am curious to see some images of the wadi that runs in front of the Qasr al Bint and Nazzals camp. They just had some serious flash flooding in that area and I have seen some videos of the water rushing through there. That also would have gone right into the front doorway of the Khasenah in the Siq.

Kyle Jones

Stormy weather today - I guess that's what I get for traveling during an extended drought...

This is from our last morning in Galilee. I got out of bed to take a shower and had to stop and take this through the window in my room. I'm not sure another location would have been any better.
08 Galilee Sunrise_850.jpg

From the top of Mt. Precipice in Nazareth, looking over the valley of Armageddon toward Mt. Tabor with Jordan in the far distance (the brown hills in the light)
09 Mt Precipice_850.jpg

The Western Wall with domes at sunrise. I've been told the "crane" is the second Israeli national bird.
10 Western Wall_850.jpg

The Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Found a moment with nobody in the courtyard.
11 Church of the Holy Sepulcher_850.jpg

Inside the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
12 Sepulcher Interior_850.jpg

Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives
13 Jerusalem_850.jpg

The garden of Gethsemane
14 Gethsemane_850.jpg

AlanLichty

Nice additions. Remarkable you got an empty courtyard for the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. I like the Sea of Galilee sunrise.

JimFox

Staff member
Super cool Kyle!

You have visited some really great places, what an experience.

That sunrise view out of your hotel is just so awesome!

The Church of the Holy Sepulcher and the Garden of Gethsemane are my next favorites.

AlanLichty

Wow - I am not used to seeing the Khasaneh with that many people present. Camels don't normally inhabit this type of environment but the Bedouin know there is a business opportunity and keep them around for the tourists. I think there were two camels the local Bedouin had when I worked there in the 70's that were brought out for the tour groups - one at the Khasaneh and one along the main street through the city. Cool shots.

Kyle Jones

Wow - I am not used to seeing the Khasaneh with that many people present. Camels don't normally inhabit this type of environment but the Bedouin know there is a business opportunity and keep them around for the tourists. I think there were two camels the local Bedouin had when I worked there in the 70's that were brought out for the tour groups - one at the Khasaneh and one along the main street through the city. Cool shots.
Well they have dozens of camels now, carrying people between the Treasury and the trail to the Monastery. In addition to the donkeys, horses and buggies.

Here's a better look at the crowd...
PSX_20181211_092732.jpg

AlanLichty

Well they have dozens of camels now, carrying people between the Treasury and the trail to the Monastery. In addition to the donkeys, horses and buggies.

Here's a better look at the crowd...
Wow!! I have been there with another graduate student when we were the only ones there. None of the buildings were present either.

JimFox

Staff member
What an amazing area. These last ones are a great follow up to what Alan had posted before. It's interesting to see it in different light and at different times.

Top Bottom