Low Tide Along the Beach +2 edits

AlanLichty

Another shot from mid March during a very low tide. I will confess I was smitten by the zig zag patterns of the pools left behind from the receding tide and took more than a handful of shots besides the ones I have already posted :)

C&C always welcome.

Edit - new crop and horizon fix as suggested by Amy and Jim. I will confess I am not totally sold on the crop since I originally composed the shot based on the sand patterns in the foreground and the tops of the clouds. I was shooting hand held on this occasion.

HBSP-SBDay3-15-4c.jpg

Edit2 - new crop suggested by Jim. I like this one better.

HBSP-SBDay3-15-4c2.jpg

Last edited:

Amy Earl

Those are great little pools, I would have gone crazy taking photos with the reflections.

I like the pools and cloud patterns but I guess I'm curious to see what else you got from this shoot. I feel like a different composition would perhaps be more inspiring, maybe with the horizon in the top third instead of in the middle? The lighting feels a little flat as well. Maybe I'm just spoiled on all your sunrise and sunset photos :)

JimFox

Staff member
Those are great clouds Alan, you had some beautiful conditions.

Amy brings up some really good suggestions. Mine is just to remember to level the horizon. :)

AlanLichty

Those are great little pools, I would have gone crazy taking photos with the reflections.

I like the pools and cloud patterns but I guess I'm curious to see what else you got from this shoot. I feel like a different composition would perhaps be more inspiring, maybe with the horizon in the top third instead of in the middle? The lighting feels a little flat as well. Maybe I'm just spoiled on all your sunrise and sunset photos :)
Thanks - Sunrise happened while showers and gray ruled the skies so this was late morning with distinctly flat light. I have posted 2 shots from this session although not looking in this direction.

Those are great clouds Alan, you had some beautiful conditions.

Amy brings up some really good suggestions. Mine is just to remember to level the horizon. :)
Thanks - Handheld shots (at least by me) almost always feature a less than perfect horizon when I am trying to get close to the ground. I should have checked that when I processed this last night.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Nice patterns in the beach and some fluffy clouds with their reflections to go with. A good combination for a captivating image. Now that I am revisiting a lot of my unprocessed images taken in less than ideal light (ideal in the narrow definitions that we landscape photographers have boxed ourselves in), I am developing an appreciation for these. The edits are a good improvement.

JimFox

Staff member
Interesting crop, I would have gone the opposite way as I love those clouds, I think the crop loses a lot of that. I would have cropped off the bottom to lose the bare sand and then use the warp tool on the left side to pull the water down a bit.

Rarely have mine level even with a tripod, so I almost always check my horizon in photoshop. :rolleyes:

AlanLichty

Nice patterns in the beach and some fluffy clouds with their reflections to go with. A good combination for a captivating image. Now that I am revisiting a lot of my unprocessed images taken in less than ideal light (ideal in the narrow definitions that we landscape photographers have boxed ourselves in), I am developing an appreciation for these. The edits are a good improvement.
I am doing a lot more mid day shooting these days but typically just carrying my DSLR and my 24-105mm zoom.

Interesting crop, I would have gone the opposite way as I love those clouds, I think the crop loses a lot of that. I would have cropped off the bottom to lose the bare sand and then use the warp tool on the left side to pull the water down a bit.

Rarely have mine level even with a tripod, so I almost always check my horizon in photoshop. :rolleyes:
New crop above - I like this better although I did like the textures in the sand. I have more shots from the morning I shot this that show the sand much better however.

pepper

really like the 3rd version. it gets rid of the empty foreground and doesn't crop off the top of the cloud. your shots always make me wish that the east coast beaches had rocks.

I like the third crop too, Alan. But, what really captured my attention was the clarity of this image. A lot of times the salty mist in the air gives an ocean image a slightly foggy look. I am guessing the rain took care if that.

Top Bottom