Man Falls off Cliff at Skyline

JimFox

Staff member
That's so sad! Accidents happy really easily when people aren't used to things like cliffs, etc.

AlanLichty

I saw this article the other day. Apparently he was too close to the edge and the edge crumbled under his feet.

JimFox

Staff member
I saw this article the other day. Apparently he was too close to the edge and the edge crumbled under his feet.
I try to watch the edges when I am out shooting, just for that reason. But sometimes I think you can't predict it either. It's just sad to see a kid this young who sounds like a great kid pass away from an accident that young.

ckcarr

Founding Member
To follow up, I have a friend in Moab Search & Rescue. The number one rescue is some kind of fall. Obviously, they don't all die, or plummet 1,200 feet to their death, but there are plenty of injuries. Genuine accidents, wrong footwear, carelessness, selfies, showing off... And the fact that they don't die is probably sheer luck. And falls are the number one cause of accidental death in Utah. I'm sure that's not true in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa.

A long time ago I stepped on a rock and fell backwards, but then kept tumbling for an extra 50 feet or so. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it. That was in a location where they would have just found my bones 25 years later... And no one was there, but I still looked around all embarrassed...

JimFox

Staff member
To follow up, I have a friend in Moab Search & Rescue. The number one rescue is some kind of fall. Obviously, they don't all die, or plummet 1,200 feet to their death, but there are plenty of injuries. Genuine accidents, wrong footwear, carelessness, selfies, showing off... And the fact that they don't die is probably sheer luck. And falls are the number one cause of accidental death in Utah. I'm sure that's not true in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa.

A long time ago I stepped on a rock and fell backwards, but then kept tumbling for an extra 50 feet or so. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it. That was in a location where they would have just found my bones 25 years later... And no one was there, but I still looked around all embarrassed...
Yep, I would agree that falls as the leading cause of death is not going to be happing in Iowa.... well. unless it's old people falling and not being able to get back up. :rolleyes:

I am glad you are okay from your fall. And it is funny about how when we do something embarrassing when we are out by ourselves that we still look around to see if anyone saw us.

Top Bottom