Memorial Day Flyover - Monday May 25th Noon

Tex Schneider

Ambassador
There will be a Memorial Day Flyover of 18 historic warbirds.

https://www.sbsun.com/2020/05/20/18...V9aNztibiia8ShEvZqVi6S5e8AAUZbK8SritRFwYJVu30

They will take off around noon from Riverside. You can read in the article their proposed route. They are going to flyover St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, then head toward John Wayne Airport. There is a shopping plaza in Santa Ana/Orange, across the street from the Main Place Mall, where I plan to set up my tripod. Most of the businesses there are currently closed, so there is plenty of open space. My guess is that the aircraft will be following the 55 freeway towards John Wayne Airport. If I am right, this location should give a bit of an up angle on the planes, rather than being right underneath of them. It will happen very fast, obviously. There is a taco place and a Jersey Mikes sandwich shop in the plaza, so we could have a bite to eat afterwards, sitting in the parking lot. (Bring a chair.)

Anyone up for joining me? They are flying over a significant route; this is most convenient for me. Check the article to see if there is a location closer for your needs.

Review: I will be in the shopping center parking lot, across from Main Place Mall - Santa Ana. There is a Party City there, Baja Fish Taco, Jersey Mike's, Massage Envy store, - just so you know the location I am talking about. The area is frequently referred to as - Town and Country. I will be there before noon.

Tex Schneider

Last edited:

David S

How low do you think they will be flying I only have a 180mm equivalent lens length... Also If anyone happens to be there from the businesses and asks you to leave the parking lot you can always just move to the sidewalk and there's nothing anyone can do legally.. Just a FYI

Tex Schneider

Ambassador
How low do you think they will be flying I only have a 180mm equivalent lens length... Also If anyone happens to be there from the businesses and asks you to leave the parking lot you can always just move to the sidewalk and there's nothing anyone can do legally.. Just a FYI
I think the article mentioned this was going to be a low flyover event, but I don't know what that means exactly. I figure it is worth a try. It's all going to happen fast, that's for sure. I've got a 100-400mm and I can put extenders on, if I think I'm going to need it. If you use Canon, I have a 70-200mm and you can use an extender.

David S

I think the article mentioned this was going to be a low flyover event, but I don't know what that means exactly. I figure it is worth a try. It's all going to happen fast, that's for sure. I've got a 100-400mm and I can put extenders on, if I think I'm going to need it. If you use Canon, I have a 70-200mm and you can use an extender.
Let me see, I might have kids that day.. might not be able to make it at all.. thanks for the offer though.. I shoot Fuji.

Top Bottom