Milky way at Marlboro point (1st edit + 2nd edit)

mreynolds767

Hi Ben,

Lovely spot to photograph the MW from in total solitude!

Colors definitely improved in your progression of edits.
I think you have the clarity / sharpening set too high in this case.

Is a very dark location, I got a little lucky when I went the MW was vertical how I wanted it for composition was just before blue hour started for sunrise. I ended up blending my last MW shot with a early Blue Hour morning (from what I recall about a 30 min or less difference where I didn't move the camera/tripod) which solved the dark location concern.

Peano

Ben, this is a very nice capture! The first thing that struck me was the saturation of the oranges in the ground. At night, colors tend to lose much of their saturation.

So, suggestion: Try dialing back the oranges below the horizon. In this sample, I used a hue/sat adjustment layer (Photoshop), ticked "Colorize," dialed in a blue tint, then lowered layer opacity until the oranges just barely began to peep through. I also applied a curves adj. layer below the horizon and steepened the composite curve to bring out the textures a little more brightly.

How far you go is entirely subjective, of course. I just offer this as visual food for thought.

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
Ben, this is a very nice capture! The first thing that struck me was the saturation of the oranges in the ground. At night, colors tend to lose much of their saturation.

So, suggestion: Try dialing back the oranges below the horizon. In this sample, I used a hue/sat adjustment layer (Photoshop), ticked "Colorize," dialed in a blue tint, then lowered layer opacity until the oranges just barely began to peep through. I also applied a curves adj. layer below the horizon and steepened the composite curve to bring out the textures a little more brightly.

How far you go is entirely subjective, of course. I just offer this as visual food for thought.

That's a great idea!

Top Bottom