Moonlit Badwater

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Tilt shift is amazing for it's ability to get deep DOF and also eliminate distortion by using shift to adjust the horizon. I sold my TSE lenses because I could not focus them, but that was my fault not the lens fault.

Jim Dockery

Nice one Alan.

I always wanted to get a TS for my Canon BITD, but couldn't afford it. Once I moved to Sony they don't have one and it wasn't worth using an adaptor. Now it seems cheaper and lighter to just do focus stacking, although like Ben points out DOF isn't the only reason to use a TS.

AlanLichty

Tilt shift is amazing for it's ability to get deep DOF and also eliminate distortion by using shift to adjust the horizon. I sold my TSE lenses because I could not focus them, but that was my fault not the lens fault.
Focusing with tilt requires a lot of patience and the use of Live View with the ability to magnify. I learned how to use tilt in archaeological field school with a 4x5 Graflex Speed camera and I found it more intuitive using a loupe under the hood than trying to make my TS-E lens do the same thing on a DSLR.

Nice one Alan.

I always wanted to get a TS for my Canon BITD, but couldn't afford it. Once I moved to Sony they don't have one and it wasn't worth using an adaptor. Now it seems cheaper and lighter to just do focus stacking, although like Ben points out DOF isn't the only reason to use a TS.
Thanks - Mine gets used a lot more for shifted panorama shots than extreme DoF. Much easier to set up than getting tilt focus right.

Looks nice in the moonlight. I never had any luck with finding the polygons there.
Thanks - The best ones I have seen were in other people's images of the place

JimFox

Staff member
Super cool Alan! I have shot out there under moonlight many a time out there on Badwater, and it sure does reflect light so well.

MonikaC

Nice and sharp, Alan. Sometimes I can focus quickly with a T/S other times I almost give up. But for wildflowers if there's a hint of a breeze, it's totally worth it (compared to focus stacking & much tedium at the computer).

Jeffrey

Cool image at an unusual time of day. Like Ben and others have said, the Ts-e lenses are tricky little things and hard to focus. They do take a lot of experience. As a LF shooter familiar with movements, I was still uncertain using mine.

Top Bottom