Mountain sunrise (with social distancing)

Luvwine

These are from this morning. The third one is a crop of the second one as I am curious if folks here think it more effective than uncropped. Thx for any comments/criticisms. The light was not great prior to sunrise (first photo) but I thought it was pretty just after.
_DSF1439.jpg
DSCF0296-Edit-5.jpg
DSCF0296-Edit-4.jpg
DSCF0318-HDR-Edit.jpg

AlanLichty

Very nice sunrise and a nice place to shoot it from with all of these images. I like the view. I kind of prefer the uncropped version in #2 with the wider view of the mountains although the sunrise colors are a bit stronger in the third image.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Stephen,

My favorite is #3, your crop of #2. I find the lower left corner in #2 distracting and too busy, I am guessing you did too.

If you could have shot #4 without any of the foreground I think it would be killer! The foreground just seems too busy to my eyes, but I love those distant peaks.

With #1, I would do a bit more shadow recovery. I know it's pre-sunrise so it's a bit darker out, but you what looks like an interesting foreground and my eyes want to see a bit more of it. As long as a person doesn't go overboard, I have no problem bringing out more shadow details in the ground layer when it's darker to keep the visual interest. Think about it this way. When you are there, your eyes adjust to the darkness and within a few minutes can see really well. As viewers, we don't have that option, our eyes don't adjust to the darker image and eventually allow us to see more. Nope, it just stays dark. :)

I try very hard when photographing in twilight and pre sunrise to process my photos later to what I actually saw and not what the camera captures since it will capture less and be darker then what my eyes do actually see. That's my 3 cents... :)

Jim Dockery

#3 for me - the foreground layers really work in this one. I'm with Jim on the last - I'd like to see a zoomed in view of the distant mountain, but the branches in the foreground distract.

Bart Carrig

Supporting Member
You caught a great morning, and did well. I'm with 2 and 3 as well, and would like a closer snap of 4. I think there's room for some recovery there; but it'll be a bit of a challenge. You may have to use luminosity to separate the color adjustments in the process.

Bart

Luvwine

Okay, given the common consensus these are too dark, I submit some here some brighter versions. Better?
_DSF1439-3.jpg
DSCF0296-Edit-10.jpg
DSCF0296-Edit-11.jpg
DSCF0318-HDR-Edit-3.jpg

Luvwine

I need to try in better light, but here is a zoomed in version of the distant mountain (from a location 1/2 mile away from this one):

DSCF0032-Pano.jpg
DSCF0036.jpg

AlanLichty

Okay, given the common consensus these are too dark, I submit some here some brighter versions. Better?
I really like how the first one turned out with this processing. For shots #2 and #3 I might be inclined to back off the shadow recovery for the light colored vegetation in the lower left corner. I do like the recovery in the vegetation just beyond. In the last shot I would be inclined to stick with the original version with the more distant focal point.

Jeffrey

Supporting Member
The small area where the sun is setting is nice in a couple of these, but the large, busy, and unattractive foreground is a big problem in all.

Amy Earl

I disagree that shadow recovery was absolutely necessary, I think your original versions were very nice in terms of lighting. This is difficult lighting to work with, for sure, but you pulled out the colors in the foreground appropriately to my eye.

Your original #3 is my favorite. Nice balance of color, light and shadow. The composition is also very nice. THe lighter foliage in the lower left corner nicely compliments the brighter part of the scene.

I want to point out that the lighting that we view these photos in affects our experience a lot. For my present lighting, which is medium, diffused lighting indoors and grey skies outside the window, the originals work well. If it was a bright sunny day and I was in my lawn chair outside, they would be too dark. Less than half of those that replied before your second submission said that shadow recovery was needed, so it was not a common concensus. I'm defending your original editing choice :)

MonikaC

I agree with Alan in that the shadow recovery was most successful in #1, but too much in the others. You could easily dial it back by 1/2 as well as crop half of the foreground.

Top Bottom