NGC6888 - Crescent Nebula - Another Miracle

JimFox

Staff member
The Crescent Nebula is another one that all I have been able to do is drool over for the last few years as I have seen others make such great captures of this. Truth to be told, I think this one should be called the Brain Nebula or maybe Brainiac. As I think it looks like a brain, I don't quite get the Crescent look, unless this was named for a Crescent Roll maybe? :)

I captured this last month up in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. I was able to capture it for 3 hours, which for me 3 hours is a lot for integration time. I suspect one day I will slow down and get my integration times up into the 8 to 12 hour range that so many others do. For now, I am still in the "want to capture as many as I can" stage. :)

60 images @ 180 secs
20 Flats
5 Darks
Removed Stars with StarExterminator for Processing

ASIAir 2600mc Pro
Tamron 150-600mm @600m f6.3
ASIAir Pro

All comments are welcome,

Jim

NGC6888_CrecentNebula_20220824_dw.jpg

AlanLichty

I like the Brain Nebula ascription as I am not seeing the crescent shape here at all. It does have a texture that vaguely resembles the surface of a brain :)

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Jim,

This is quite good - you are getting some nice subtle details and not quite 'crushing the blacks' to the same degree as previously, which allows for some faint detail in the outer regions of the frame to also start to show up. Nicely done, the 3 hours worked well. ...And don't get me started on the naming of most of these objects. I like your names better for sure, much more descriptive of the object.

ML

JimFox

Staff member
Jim,

This is quite good - you are getting some nice subtle details and not quite 'crushing the blacks' to the same degree as previously, which allows for some faint detail in the outer regions of the frame to also start to show up. Nicely done, the 3 hours worked well. ...And don't get me started on the naming of most of these objects. I like your names better for sure, much more descriptive of the object.

ML
I appreciate that Mike. I still remember when if I got an hour of data I was good and onto the next DSO! :) I am now settling down since I have shot most of the common ones a couple of different times, that I can be more patient, and be okay with gathering 3 hours of data. I think I want to get up into the 4 to 6 hour range. Of course, that depends on many other factors too, but I am purposely and consciously working towards do longer imaging sessions on a DSO before switching to another one.

PS. I am in California for 2 more weeks, and next weeks forecast is looking good out in Joshua Tree, so my hope is to be able to get out there and set up for 2 more nights, maybe 3.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
I appreciate that Mike. I still remember when if I got an hour of data I was good and onto the next DSO! :) I am now settling down since I have shot most of the common ones a couple of different times, that I can be more patient, and be okay with gathering 3 hours of data. I think I want to get up into the 4 to 6 hour range. Of course, that depends on many other factors too, but I am purposely and consciously working towards do longer imaging sessions on a DSO before switching to another one.

PS. I am in California for 2 more weeks, and next weeks forecast is looking good out in Joshua Tree, so my hope is to be able to get out there and set up for 2 more nights, maybe 3.

Jim,

Very nice. Of course, the amount of integration time spent is personal choice, there is no universal answer. But I do think you will start to see all kinds of new nuance to your results as you move into the 5+ hour realm. I know I did with my own images. Should be exciting times ahead!

ML

chuckp

Jim, Nice shot , longer imaging sessions would help a lot especially at the location you image from. You are fortunate for the transparent skies.

JimFox

Staff member
Jim,

Very nice. Of course, the amount of integration time spent is personal choice, there is no universal answer. But I do think you will start to see all kinds of new nuance to your results as you move into the 5+ hour realm. I know I did with my own images. Should be exciting times ahead!

ML
Thanks so much Mike!

JimFox

Staff member
Jim, Nice shot , longer imaging sessions would help a lot especially at the location you image from. You are fortunate for the transparent skies.
Thanks Chuck! Yeah, I am working slowly on a different mindset where I am imaging longer and getting more detail. It's just learning to be patient while imaging. :)

Top Bottom