Night Sky in the Backcountry (with edit)

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I really like this getting some moon light for the terrain is OML the best way to do these. I like the full arch of the MW too.

AlanLichty

Great timing on this shot - the moonset lighting up the peaks directly under the arched MW makes a delightful image.

Jim Dockery

I assume this was a panorama, seems like I can see some stitching problems above the left hand peak. I find myself wanting a bit more sky above the MW and of course it would be sweet to see it reflected in the lake, but don't know if that was possible. I might try to darken the sky a bit to off set the moonlight. Nice shot in any case.

JimFox

Staff member
Super cool Tim!

Using moonlight to light paint is the most simplest trick to use for night shots that too many people avoid. So great job here.

For years avoided the full Milky Way arch in a capture. First I could never get them to stitch right years ago, and the 2nd thing was I was always waiting until too late in the season and the MW would arch so high it was a pain to get into a frame without multi-row pano.

Kyle Jones

The full arch is definitely a lot of work. I've only tried it a couple of times. Nice job using the moon for the landscape. I agree with Jim that too many people these days only shoot stars during a new moon. I'll cast my vote for darkening the sky a little.

MonikaC

A nice scene. Maybe darkening as others have suggested and some noise reduction for the peaks.

Timmeh

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had to go back and rework it with the temperature better match for the pano.

I assume this was a panorama, seems like I can see some stitching problems above the left hand peak. I find myself wanting a bit more sky above the MW and of course it would be sweet to see it reflected in the lake, but don't know if that was possible. I might try to darken the sky a bit to off set the moonlight. Nice shot in any case.
I was a 20mm lens with 9 portrait images stitched together. Getting the reflection of the arch was impossible with the size of the lake.

Tim

Kyle Jones

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had to go back and rework it with the temperature better match for the pano.

I was a 20mm lens with 9 portrait images stitched together. Getting the reflection of the arch was impossible with the size of the lake.

Tim
Nice improvement with the edit.

Top Bottom