Owyhee Canyon, Malhuer County, Oregon

Aaron Cowan

Hello to many familiar names from forums past. I spoke with Jim earlier this month as he was passing through the Palouse and he reminded of this forum. I hope to stop by and contribute as time allows.

I'll begin by sharing a couple photos from one of my favorite places in the west: Owyhee Canyonlands. This is a rarely visited slice of land in the ION country...Idaho, Oregon, Nevada. Many of the roads are rocky and rutted, and all the roads are a long way from civilization. This particular location is known as the Three Forks. There are a few camping spots along the river and impressive canyons all around.

#1 Middle Fork of the Owyhee River. This is shot in midday light. The only way to access this is a cross-country hike through sage brush and bunchgrass. I "found" this location by looking at topo maps. The lines got very tight and thick in the location.
Middle Fork Owyhee Pano 4x5.jpg

#2 Sagebrush along the Owyhee River. This was taken in the evening not farm from my camp site.
Three Forks Evening on the Shore.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Great set you show here, and welcome to the forum, hope to see you more often. I do remember you from the other forum.

AlanLichty

I know where this area is on maps but have never ventured in to see any of it first hand. I like the view in that first image - amazing drop-off down to the bottom with some almost impossible terrain. Thanks for sharing these.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Aaron,

It is so great to see you again! It's been a long time, and it's always so great to have an old friend back in you! :)

And it's awesome you start off with a location probably most haven't heard of. I believe I have heard of the the Owyhee Canyon area, but I certainly didn't remember anything more then the name. What an amazing and rugged place.

#1 is really sweet with those rock towers! There is a lot to like about this and and you captured this so nice in midday light.

#2 is really cool too with that sagebrush. I like the various shades of green you have captured here.

Top Bottom