Photo Challenge - Oct & Nov - Past Peak Fall Colors

JimFox

Staff member
The typical Weekend Challenge covers a weekend or two, but with fall color occurring at such different times we will be changing this to simply being a Photo Challenge that will run over the next 4 weeks or so.

With that said let me announce our photo challenge - Past Peak Fall Colors!

The majority of us are of course after Peak Fall Colors! We search online, call friends just to see what the fall colors are doing in a certain location. That’s where my head has been. But a few days ago I was talking with @Amy Nelson on the phone and she mentioned that this weekend she was going out to look for Past Peak Fall Colors. That left me scratching my head a bit, as my mind was still in the chasing after peak fall colors here in the Upper Midwest. But today as I was out looking for fall colors I came across an area that was past peak and found that the scenes looked pretty cool! So I thought… hey, Amy must be on to something… :)

Please go out this weekend and find some Post Peak Fall Colors and post your photos in this thread.

Jim

Last edited:

AlanLichty

Peak color hasn't even happened yet in the PNW. Late next week and into the week after is my best guess for the start of peak west of the Cascades in SW Washington and Oregon. This based on what I saw driving around in the coastal mountains east of Florence today. Most of the maples are still green with some patches getting started along the Siuslaw.

JimFox

Staff member
Peak color hasn't even happened yet in the PNW. Late next week and into the week after is my best guess for the start of peak west of the Cascades in SW Washington and Oregon. This based on what I saw driving around in the coastal mountains east of Florence today. Most of the maples are still green with some patches getting started along the Siuslaw.
Fortunately for the PNW, our Weekend Challenges don’t truly have end dates. So for sure add your photos in here when you do get to past peak. :)

Ken Rennie

Here in the North of England Peak colour is many weeks away. It is usually the 1st week in November but can be later.

Amy Earl

Supporting Member
Here's a shot taken during my lunch break while walking along Otter Creek (mid-eastern Vermont). The sun was in and out and I was surprised at how vibrant this came out despite there not being any direct sun. I guess that's the blessing of autumn leaves - they seem to glow with their own light. We're pretty lucky to still have leaves like this going into November.

IMG_0765_AmyEarl_1800.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Here's a shot taken during my lunch break while walking along Otter Creek (mid-eastern Vermont). The sun was in and out and I was surprised at how vibrant this came out despite there not being any direct sun. I guess that's the blessing of autumn leaves - they seem to glow with their own light. We're pretty lucky to still have leaves like this going into November.

View attachment 44109
Love it Amy! Great job with the post peak fall colors!

AlanLichty

With the recent rains and storms a lot of the Pacific NW is starting to wind down fall colors and some areas are showing a lot of bare branches instead of colorful leaves. This is one such scene along Cougar Creek near my house in Vancouver displaying a colorful trail and bare or nearly bare trees along the creek.

cougarcreek1.jpg

Worth noting that while this might look like a natural scene a lot of the trees along this trail are non-native species that have seeded themselves from neighborhood yards through the years. This creek flows through the local suburbs and joins up with Salmon Creek about 1/4 mile behind this viewpoint.

Picture taken this morning (11/14/2021).

Top Bottom