Randomized Photo Destinations Pt. 4 - Dixie Forest

AlanLichty

The final destination for our survey assignment was fairly close to our campsite at Navajo Lake compared to the drives we had been taking to get to our prior 10 acre plots. This is pretty close to Darcy's summertime stomping grounds with her summer cabin.

In this case the plot was a rather nondescript patch of meadow in the uplands of the Dixie Forest just south and east of the Brian Head Ski resort. This was mid September but at 9000'+ elevation the aspen were already starting to turn. It was well below freezing overnight and I had to use a kitchen knife to pry the plates apart for breakfast since they had frozen together.

Campground area:

Dixie2.jpg

We did drive past the overlooks to the backcountry behind Zion N.P. on Utah Hwy 14 on the way to our destination and I managed to get in a shot. I like to stop at this overlook any time I am on this highway.

We were able to drive within a couple of miles of our plot but the good news there is that this gave me more chances for shooting the woods along the way.

Dixie3.jpg

Our 10 acre plot was an open meadow which made determining our survey boundaries pretty easy along with a pretty easy day walking through our grid.

Dixie6.jpg

The cloud cover got a lot more substantial as the day went along and there were some nice overlooks on the way out and I am a sucker for aspen that are staring to change.

Dixie4.jpg

Dixie5.jpg

C&C always welcome and thanks for reading along.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks again for posting this series. I am enjoying it. I had to Google the location, I have been to Cedar Breaks, but did not know of the ski resort.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Alan,

That is a beautiful area, one I have driven through a few times and really have enjoyed. You have some very nice photos capturing the essence of that location.

AlanLichty

For me the part that only sank in after we were done was that there were a ton of places in Utah that I had driven by heaven only knows how many times and had never left the pavement to see what was there. If you did then what would have been your destination? For me Book Cliffs and the San Rafael Swell would have been at the top of that list but I never had a destination to target.

Getting paid to go to these specific places I never would have targeted and walk around with my camera bag over my shoulder was a fun way to get to see them.

Darcy Grizzle

I love exploring Cedar Mountain. We have been camping up there for most of my life, Sydney Valley, Red Desert and have been all over the top to bottom of that area! Beautiful shots Alan!

Top Bottom