Remote Astro Session 1 - Summary Totals

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
So with likely no more chances to gather data on this trip, here are the totals of what I got for light frames.

M81-M82
Frames: Ha, LRGB
Duration: 9.4 Hrs,
Notes: 1.1 hours more with different length subs

Markarian’s Chain
Frames: LRGB
Duration: 7.5 Hrs

M101
Duration: 1.0 Hr
Notes: Fill in target

M16
Frames: Ha,OIII,SII
Duration: 4.50 Hrs
Notes: Best in Ha , unattended collects

IC443 (Jellyfish Nebula)
Duration: 6.0 Hrs
Notes: includes ½ hour of RGB stars

Seagull Nebula
Duration: 2.8 Hrs
Notes: may not make an image, but fun test target

Elephant Trunk Nebula
Duration: 4.9 Hrs

Total Integration - 36.1 Hrs

Just to put that 36.1 hour total integration time number into perspective, the total integration time for everything I have posted on Astrobin to date is only 43 hours. And the average integration time for one of my submissions there is 1.3 hours. So as a first experiment for increasing astroimaging opportunities, this was a massive success! Once post processing is complete, hopefully 2 nice RGB images, 1 nice NB image, 2 nice Ha only images, and a quickie widefield of M101.

If there is a chance to do anything tomorrow night I plan to use it to gather support frames (dark, flat, and bias) that I still need. Failing that, most of the post processing will have to wait for the next trip…

ML

Last edited:

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
EDIT - My original formatting for this message came from an email and FW butchered it, so I had to go in an re-edit it for clarity. Apologies to anyone trying to read the original version...

ML

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Mike,

I am sorry to hear that FocalWorld butchered your post. It looks good now though, so good job with the editing.

it looks like you have plenty of processing to keep you busy. Maybe you need your friend to mail your hard drive to you? This would be a great time to be able to sit and process. Plus... I can’t wait to see some of your images!

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
He is driving back Tuesday, so we will make the exchange near the back half of the week at some point. Had a filter wheel issue crop up earlier today while knocking out some flats. Hopefully got it sorted now, although cause remains a mystery. I hope to finish up any additional darks I need tonight, before he brings gear inside. He may actually be heading back down there by about next weekend tho, so could be even more data to gather. Not sure I'll have time to process anything before that, but it would be nice to evaluate how I did with my gain settings and integration times before getting more data. We will see how it goes. At least the moon will be diminishing noticeably be next weekend.

Super fun to be doing anything with astro gear while it is snowing outside! :)

ML

JimFox

Staff member
He is driving back Tuesday, so we will make the exchange near the back half of the week at some point. Had a filter wheel issue crop up earlier today while knocking out some flats. Hopefully got it sorted now, although cause remains a mystery. I hope to finish up any additional darks I need tonight, before he brings gear inside. He may actually be heading back down there by about next weekend tho, so could be even more data to gather. Not sure I'll have time to process anything before that, but it would be nice to evaluate how I did with my gain settings and integration times before getting more data. We will see how it goes. At least the moon will be diminishing noticeably be next weekend.

Super fun to be doing anything with astro gear while it is snowing outside! :)

ML
That's Great! I am glad to hear that soon the data will be in your hands. I know you are looking forward to diving in to them.

So with likely no more chances to gather data on this trip, here are the totals of what I got for light frames.

M81-M82
Frames: Ha, LRGB
Duration: 9.4 Hrs,

Markarian’s Chain
Duration: 7.5 Hrs

M101
Duration: 1.0 Hr
Notes: Fill in target

M16
Duration: 4.50 Hrs

IC443 (Jellyfish Nebula)
Duration: 6.0 Hrs
Notes: includes ½ hour of RGB stars

Seagull Nebula
Duration: 2.8 Hrs
Notes: may not make an image, but fun test target

Elephant Trunk Nebula
Duration: 4.9 Hrs

Total Integration - 36.1 Hrs

Just to put that 36.1 hour total integration time number into perspective, the total integration time for everything I have posted on Astrobin to date is only 43 hours. And the average integration time for one of my submissions there is 1.3 hours. So as a first experiment for increasing astroimaging opportunities, this was a massive success! Once post processing is complete, hopefully 2 nice RGB images, 1 nice NB image, 2 nice Ha only images, and a quickie widefield of M101.

If there is a chance to do anything tomorrow night I plan to use it to gather support frames (dark, flat, and bias) that I still need. Failing that, most of the post processing will have to wait for the next trip…

ML
Huh??? Any images?

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Douglas,

I don't have the data yet, as it is on my remote astro computer that is being driven back to CO as I type this. Even once it shows up, it will likely be a little while before I can post results, as I anticipate some of these big data sets will take many hours to process. I will be sure to post anything I like on in this forum once the processing is complete.

Top Bottom