RF 14-35 Review Out

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
I am still (not so patiently) awaiting delivery of this lens which I uncharacteristically ordered prior to any reviews. Now there is a review from Bryan over at The Digital Picture. He has done his usual thorough comparison of this lens with previous comparable lenses. he has found a lot to really like, and has only one complaint - lots of barrel distortion at the wide end on uncorrected images. He saves that comment for the back end of the review and honestly, in looking at the corrected 14mm images things look very good to me, so I am not too concerned about this aspect. In every other way (other than max aperture for say nightscape shooting) this lens looks like a winner. As some of you may know, I originally bought the RF 15-35 f/2.8, but sent it back when it could not compare favorably with my existing EF 16-35 f/4 at even f/5.6 in the corners (verified with a friend's RF 15-35 that also did not match IQ with my EF lens...) So we will see how the 14-35 does, but comparing on Bryan's site using his IQ comparison tool it sure looks good.

The review is here for those interested:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-RF-14-35mm-F4-L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx

ML

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Thanks for posting this. I also have the 16-35/f4 which I like a lot and I can use it between both the 5DsR and the R5. On the fence still whether I should get the 14-35.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I got the 15-35 f2.8 and sold my 14 Rokinon. My previous WA lens was the EF 11-24 which I loved but sold because I am not a fan of adaptors. I am very pleased with the 15-35, but then my visual acuity is probably not good enough to judge.

The 15-35 is a good MW lens, but I am losing interest in MW, maybe should have waited and got the 14-35.

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
I am still (not so patiently) awaiting delivery of this lens which I uncharacteristically ordered prior to any reviews. Now there is a review from Bryan over at The Digital Picture. He has done his usual thorough comparison of this lens with previous comparable lenses. he has found a lot to really like, and has only one complaint - lots of barrel distortion at the wide end on uncorrected images. He saves that comment for the back end of the review and honestly, in looking at the corrected 14mm images things look very good to me, so I am not too concerned about this aspect. In every other way (other than max aperture for say nightscape shooting) this lens looks like a winner. As some of you may know, I originally bought the RF 15-35 f/2.8, but sent it back when it could not compare favorably with my existing EF 16-35 f/4 at even f/5.6 in the corners (verified with a friend's RF 15-35 that also did not match IQ with my EF lens...) So we will see how the 14-35 does, but comparing on Bryan's site using his IQ comparison tool it sure looks good.

The review is here for those interested:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-RF-14-35mm-F4-L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx

ML
The problem here is the f4. I used a 16-35mm f4 for years to shoot the MW because 10-15 years ago the f2.8 were just not in my price bracket. But I can tell you, there is no comparison with a f4 lens and an f2.8 or faster lens. The greater amount of light being allowed in just makes all the difference in the world. And the images are cleaner since you can shoot at a lower ISO.

If the purpose is for an all day lens, and you have something else for night, then the f4 doesn't matter since during the day we are usually shooting at f11 or f13 (at least I am). I still have my 16-35mm f4 as its my most used lens, until it becomes dark that is.... and then it gets switched out. :)

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
JIm,

That is exactly my plan. I will use the 14-35 for everything that isn't nightscape, as I personally want something even faster than 2.8 for that. I am still waiting for the perfect solution there, everything out on the market has compromises in my mind. So this lens is the RF mount replacement for my EF 16-35 f/4, which I also do not use for nightscape.

I have come close to buying either the Rokinon 14 f/2.4 or the Laowa 15 f/2, to tide me over until an excellent performing 14mm f/2 or less lens in an RF mount comes along. But have not pulled the trigger on either of those yet either. As good as the EF Sigma 14 f/1.8 is, for the money I am not impressed with the coma, and it is big and heavy even without the RF/EF adapter. So the wait goes on...But for landscape, the 14-35 f/4 should be stellar (pun intended :) )

ML

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
That sounds like a plan. From the reviews it appears that this is really a 14-28 and the 28-35 isn't very good and needs to be software corrected. Your 24-70 or 24-105 should be able to handle that 28-35 range for that.

I find my Rokinon 14/2.8 and 24/1.4 adequate for doing night stuff involving stars. Adapters or not, for the amount of usage this gets, I am fine with it. Although the Rokinon 14/.28 is now available in RF mount with AF as well.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
jameel,

I have the Rokinon 24 f/1.4, and it is decent, although I would prefer wider for many things. As you say, in reality with low usage using an EF mount lens is not a deal breaker. On the Sigma 14 f/1.8 though, it makes what is already a huge lens very large and ungainly. That RF version of the Rokinon is also a consideration. I wish Rokinon would come out with a Canon mountable 14mm version of their recently released 24mm f/1.8 for Sony, that has some very nice nightscape optimized features built in. Will have to see if that comes to pass.

Kyle Jones

I've said it before, but I love the Rokinon 14/2.4. I use (but don't love) the Rokinon 24/1.4. I'm waiting for a great 20-24mm f/1.4 lens for the "not so wide" astro shots. Everyone I've heard about (besides Sony's which sounds great) has coma or other significant problems. Oh well.

JimFox

Staff member
I wouldn’t mind a fast 24mm for nightscapes, but as a secondary lens. I think for nightscapes a 14mm is the bread and butter lens.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
So all it took was ordering the RF 50mm f/1.8 nifty fifty (which comes Friday) to break the order for my RF 14-35 loose. Both the 50 and the 14-35 shipped today. The 14-35 will arrive Monday. I will be comparing it to the very trusty EF 16-35 f/4 IS for IQ and report back. Hopefully that lens will be on the used sale block very soon.

Top Bottom