Sail On

AlanLichty

Sailing through the sands was an alternate title. The is a bow view of the wrecked ship named the Peter Iredale in Ft. Stevens State Park. The misty skies are from light rain that was falling and not the choking smoke prevalent inland from the coast. I liked this view for showing the actual size of the ship with two other parts of the structure poking up through the sand behind the bow in the distance near the footprint path. The ship was 285' long.

SailOn.jpg

Extra points for any nerds out there who know the manual I stole the title for this thread from.

I did play around with this image in Silver Efex Pro but didn't like how the nuances of the rusting hull were lost without the subtle colors.

C&C always welcome.

JimFox

Staff member
My first thought on seeing this Alan was that I thought that it could look super cool in B&W. So then I read that you tried it and didn't like it. How about putting the dng of this into Critique in a few days and ask people to convert it to B&W? I still think B&W would be cool. :)

By the way, that's a really cool composition, the color isn't quite doing it for me, but I totally get that you had to shoot under some pretty bad atmospheric conditions. I would love to shoot a shipwreck like this. Does the tide get up around the hull? I have got to remember this one for my next trip up there.

AlanLichty

My first thought on seeing this Alan was that I thought that it could look super cool in B&W. So then I read that you tried it and didn't like it. How about putting the dng of this into Critique in a few days and ask people to convert it to B&W? I still think B&W would be cool. :)

By the way, that's a really cool composition, the color isn't quite doing it for me, but I totally get that you had to shoot under some pretty bad atmospheric conditions. I would love to shoot a shipwreck like this. Does the tide get up around the hull? I have got to remember this one for my next trip up there.
The air quality was actually good out along the coast. A storm had blown in on the day I drove out there and the next morning was on the misty side with light rain falling. The rain precluded any sunrise/sunset light while I was out there.

The tide does come up to the rusting hulk and this was taken just after low tide. It is a very popular beach and the parking lot is about 100 yards from the wreck so shooting it sans footprints is difficult at best.

I could put a copy over in the Critique forum for folks to play with but have little interest in participating. I tried almost all of the Silver Efex presets and played around with the filters on some of the presets but didn't like any of the results.

JimFox

Staff member
I am glad you are getting some cleaner air!

I am still working on your Sail On reference, other then making me think of the Sloop John B from the Beach Boys, I haven't gotten it yet. :)

AlanLichty

I am glad you are getting some cleaner air!

I am still working on your Sail On reference, other then making me think of the Sloop John B from the Beach Boys, I haven't gotten it yet. :)
Had cleaner air - back in Vancouver with air that still carries warning labels although not nearly as bad as what it was when I left on Monday.

The Sail On reference might have been a bit too obscure for most. That was the title of a manual from the late 70's for the artificial intelligence language that was developed at Stanford in the late 70's as an offshoot of Algol-60. The AI labs at Stanford are still called the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Labs AKA SAIL. The manual was entitled Sail On with the classic graphic of the Titanic on the cover:

SailOnOriginal.jpg

AlanLichty

Very nice, this screams B&W to me also, but then again the rust hues are very pleasing to my eyes.
Thanks - there is a copy of this image straight out of the camera over in the Critique forum I posted so folks could play with ways to process the scene. Have at it - no one has posted a B&W of this yet.

Top Bottom