Salvage Saturday

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Pile on with your reprocessed archive images.

I will kick this off with a Teton image from a few years back. When exposed for the sky, the rest of the image was near black. I had previously tried multi image stacks but never could get a pleasing brightness balance or a decent mask. That tree extending into the sky was a real problem. The latest Photoshop sky mask is a great feature. Doing the image from one raw helps maintain the integrity of the colors and brightness.

This is about what I saw in person.

130705-3392-5dm3.jpg

AlanLichty

I dug around and found an image on my iPhone from an evening Ben might remember. I met up with Ben, Rick, and Jim a few years back to shoot around the Tetons but was unable to keep going with them for a sunset shooting session. Turned out to be a nuclear sunset and I wandered down to the beach at Jackson Lake near my campsite and took some iPhone shots since I couldn't grip my DSLR anymore that day.

The iPhone (an iPhone 7) didn't handle the dynamic range all that well so I had to do some patching to fix around the blown skies just above the mountains. Not the world's finest recovery job working from my laptop but I gave it a shot anyway.

TetonsSunset.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Great job Dan, I have been trying to scan old film images on a printer/scanner, not much luck. Guess I need to go for a real scanner. But I am not sure the originals are worth it.

AlanLichty

Alan, looks pretty good to me. Great sky & reflection
I've only got an iPhone 7. Thinking about an iPhone 11 or iPhone 13 now
If you have the option go for the 13 Pro - its has a pretty serious camera and you can get RAW output if you wish. The iPhone 11 Pro has a better camera than the 7 but it's not in the same league as the 13 Pro.

AlanLichty

Alan, I would like to try a photo trip, just using the iPhone 13.
Heck, everybody else does 🤣
Mine has become my camera of choice for macro shots and wet weather photography. Its rated for 30 minutes at 3 meters depth underwater so I can shoot in stupid rain/wind conditions (I did earlier today) when I would never even bother bringing out my other gear. I still like having access to my DSLR. Each platform has its own niche since neither can quite do what the other one can depending on the situation at hand.

Top Bottom